264 Win Mag 140 gr Accubond

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
140 gr AccuBond 74.2 gr (53%) .443" Penetrated 6 water jugs

002-1.jpg

gerry,

That looks great, plenty of penetration and expansion.

JD338

6 jugs means it should do well on moose sized critters so those antlerless elk need to be careful this winter when I visit the Peace country :)

A friend shot one of the uprights on my Chrony so I don't have an exact speed but based on my experience with the 140 gr Partition and Retumbo it should be in the 3050-3100 fps range.

Gerry, as much as I would love to see one recovered from an elk, I bet that 140 will keep on trucking. Seems like Retumbo and the 140's are just clicking really well for me as well. That recovered bullet looks great. I think the 140's are really where the 264 shines. At least in mine. Scotty

How far were the jugs?

I assume they were pretty close since the weight retention was barely over half.

Either way, it helt together and penetrate 6 jugs so I think thats plenty for bigger critters.

remingtonman_25_06":2y826bxs said:
How far were the jugs?

I assume they were pretty close since the weight retention was barely over half.

Either way, it helt together and penetrate 6 jugs so I think thats plenty for bigger critters.

The jugs were about 15 feet from the muzzle. I thought the bullet would have had higher retained weight but what matters is it survived a high velocity impact and still made it into jug #6. Will be interesting to see how the bullet performs on game it should certainly hang together enough to make in through the vital area on an animal as big as an elk. Hope to find out when we go out this winter.

gerry":5q4xcdvc said:
The jugs were about 15 feet from the muzzle. I thought the bullet would have had higher retained weight but what matters is it survived a high velocity impact and still made it into jug #6. Will be interesting to see how the bullet performs on game it should certainly hang together enough to make in through the vital area on an animal as big as an elk. Hope to find out when we go out this winter.

The NABs were designed to retain 60% of their weight. This test is pretty extreme in my eyes. I wouldn't be concerned whatsoever.

Back