140 VLD Vs Antelope.

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
My kids Stephan Anna and I went out to the ranch for antelope last September. Great time.
Stephan put a heck of a stalk on a nice buck. He was using my Sendero in 264 magnum. 140 VLD at 3100 fps-miedium load. We had plenty of time so we took our time planning it out. We got into position and out came the Droid phone with Ballistic which is a great app. I lazered the goat at 277. He did not know we were there. The phone said 1.4 moa so he dialed it in on the Leupy M-1 turrets. A second later he dropped the buck with a shot behind the shoulder. Boom, wack, DRT. The berger did great. Small hole going in and nice half dollar hole out the other side. Inside was soup with no meat damage. BTW Anna gutted the buck with Stephan's help. Not bad for a 14 and 10 year old.

IMAG0046-1.jpg

IMAG0047-1.jpg

IMAG0048-1-1.jpg

OOPS!!!!!!!!! I will get on it !

Outstanding Stephan and Anna :) you sure must have been proud of those two Fotis. Very nice buck Stephan.

The children did a great job. Congratulations to Stephan and Anna.

Fotis that is pretty darn neat! I think the proud smile on their faces pretty much covers how cool it was! Nice shooting and have to put in a plug for the little gal for being right there. You go girl! We need more of them out there with us. Thanks.
David

WOW! Pop, If you didnt tear up I'll do it for you....! Very cool pics, and a wonderful time, Im thinkin' Great goat an great lookin' kids. CL

Wow thats great stuff there. Nice hunt, memories for life. Thats what its all about right there.

Corey

Fotis,

That is a dandy buck. Stephan made a great shot!
Its awesome to have the kids on the hunt.

JD338

almost 15" if I remember correctly. This was a couple of years ago.

I also shoot a .264 Win Mag with a 120gr Nosler BT sighted dead nuts on at 300 yds. This is 3 inches high at 100, 4 inches high at 200. I think range finders are a great tool but till a antelope is beyond 375 yds just aim and shoot. Unless its way out there just get a rest & send it down range.

Welcome to the forum. It sounds as if you do a bit of speed goat hunting. Feel free to post some pictures. I'm sure we'd enjoy seeing what you've done. Which rifle are you shooting that is chambered in 264 WM? Again, glad to have you aboard.

1100 Remington Man,

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the 6.5mm club!
There are quite a few of us here that shoot 6.5mm/264 bore.
Myself, I shoot a 6.5mm Rem Mag and a 6.5mm JDJ. :mrgreen:

JD338

DrMike":2q93fd4s said:
I thought you'd be impressed with another 264 WM shooter, Scotty.

It is one of the cartridges that snuck up on me. Once I figured the rifle out, the rifle is really a performer and the cartridge is a very cool one too. Hard to scoff at 140's at nearly 3200 with the kinda numbers they run. It is one of my rifles that needs to be hunted much more this Fall.

View attachment image.jpgHere' my last speed goat. This is my Rifle before I redid it now its in a HS Precision stock Cerkote & new Scope 3.5x10 40mm Leupold CDS. Model 70 XTR .264 Win Mag. My Load now is Nosler Brass, IMR 4350 60.2gr, CCI 250,Nosler BT 120gr. COAL 3.26, 3225 FPS. Buy going from W-W brass to Nosler my group sizes shrunk from 2.88 inch at 300 yds to 2.43 inches at 300 yds. This is a Max Load Use with Caution. I like the Pictures with the Kids Great to get them out. I have thought about trying the VLD Bullets from Nosler but the performance with the BT I have nothing to complain about, but the higher BC would not hurt.

Back