264 Win Mag 140 AB 3200FPS

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I ran the 140 AB outta my 264 Win Mag into the jugs yesterday. Pretty tough bullet overall, made it to the 5th jug which is about typical of an AB being ran that fast into the water at about 15 yards.

The bullet expanded to a final diameter of .490" and retained 71.1 grains on my scale. That is about as tough as you can be on a bullet till you get into the warp speed sorta magnums, but I wouldn't think twice about putting one of these into an elk or moose. Pretty sure they would leak pretty heavily.

You are certainly correct about this being a tough test for this bullet, just as you are correct that it will work very well for elk and/or moose.

Nice.
That would make for an excellent deer/elk bullet.

JD338

Without a doubt. This is a great combo, fast and accurate plus very low recoil too.

What was your load Brass Powder Primer Rifle Barrel length & how was the Groups size ? Maybe my .264 Win Mag will get to go Elk Hunting some day. Semper Fi

Brass is Nosler, CCI250's, 67.6 grains of RL25 and the COAL is around 3.250" I think. I'll have to double check the lengths though. It's a no kidding 1/2" load when I'm shooting well. I have a feeling it'd hammer an elk without too much worry.

Yeah, I believe they should work really well Dan. I dropped off my 264 Win Mag with my cousin in NY this past week, so I imagine he'll give me a report on any shots taken with it this Fall. He said he wanted to try one out before he bought one.

Yeah, at 10 yards at that sorta speed, the AB's get the hurt pushed onto them. Still come out pretty good and in the 5th jug too.. That's elk'ish sorta power in my book. Takes a much bigger bullet to do too much better.

What barrel length on your .264 Win Mag. ? Have you done any temp sensitive test with Reloader 25 ? I here all this talk about temp sensitive & Hodgen Extreme Powders have you tested this ? The flip side is I check my rifle before going hunting & temps are in the mid 40s and hunting temps in the 10-30 Fahrenheit so were not talking about a lot of temperature change. Nice test by the way.

Very nice pal!..Man, at that kinda speed, the bullet sure held up very well 8)

Lou

Nope, for me, I develop my loads in the same sorta temps I hunt in or close as possible. Out to 600 I haven't had any issues. Not saying there couldn't be some, I've not had the problem though. It's a 26" barrel on that rifle.

Thanks Lou. Yeah, that bullet is plenty tough.

Back