.260 Rem & Sierra 120gr PH

Guybo

Handloader
Aug 4, 2005
This is a Sierra 120gr PH that I recovered from a buck that my daughter harvested in 2012 with her Rem Model 7 chambered in .260 rem. The shot was about 200yds and the bullet was lodged under the skin on the off side. The bullet held together well and did what i think it was designed to do. This is a very accurate load in her rifle and she's taken some nice deer with it and to date this is the only one that didn't pass thru that i've recovered.

Sierra makes a fine bullet. That one performed precisely as you would anticipate. Excellent post. Congratulations to your daughter for using the tools to bring home the venison. :grin:

I have never been a fan of sierra's.. But your post makes me think I might need to rethink that. Very accurate and that bullet looks great.

Awesome!

Still breaking in my 260 with the Federal 142 gr MatchKing ammunition. So far 1/2 moa groups at 100 yards.
Sako 85 Varmint Laminated Stainless. Wonderful shooting rifle.

Nothing wrong with sierra bullets. Usually very accurate and have been bringing home the venison for quite some time. I have had stellar results with 100gr SBT game kings in .243 for whitetails. I’ve killed more deer with this round and bullet than anything else. I’ve also used the game kings in 270 winchester 130s and 7mm rem mag 150s. They have all proven very effective and accurate. Might not be my first choice for big game hunting but perfect for medium game like caribou, deer, or black bear.

I'm glad your having success with the 120 gr Sierra. I tried it in my .264 Win Mag and I could not get it to group very well 1.5 inches at 100 yds.. I never used it on game & as a matter fact, I still have some left in the Box. I have had very good success with other Sierra Bullets & still use them, I guess this is why we test them in our rifles. I will say the .243 Sierra 85gr. BTHP Gameking is one the most accurate bullets I have ever used & proved to be very effective on Big Game & Coyotes.

I have taken several elk, deer, moose, mountain goat and mountain sheep over the years with the 160 gr SGK in my 7 STW, and have never had any complaints with using them, and will not hesitate to use them again. Unfortunately Federal stopped making that load; and replaced it with the 160 gr AB. Have used it on several of the same species since, with great results. The AB is my favourite bullet. But there are no flys in the ointment with the SGK!
My wife's 7mm-08 shoots the 140 gr SGK very well, and she will be using them when she finally harvests her first big game animal this fall.

The Sierra pro hunters always get overlooked as do the speer hot cores, They are both stout game bullets and you can pull some fantastic accuracy with them. I usually always get better accuracy out of basic cup core flat based bullets like the pro hunters. They are great for your typical hunting ranges.you know 50yds out to around 250. They can definitely be used further, but their low BC goes into effect.

Back