6.5mm 140 gr Ballistic Tip

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Not surprisingly this looks like it will be an excellent deer bullet and can probably handle heavier game if necessary.

6.5mm 140 gr Ballistic Tip - 2675 fps - 85 gr (60.7%) - .552" diameter penetrated 5 milk jugs.

Wow, that bullet looks great! 5 jugs is pretty good penetration.

JD338

About all I can do is echo JD338: "Wow!" Excellent performance. In fact, under the circumstances, I would think that bullet would work even with elk.

Yes, if someone was hunting for deer and came across an elk or moose it looks like this bullet would go deep into the vitals as long as common sense is used.

Looks great, what caliber were you shooting? .260 Remington or 6.5x55??? Just a guess based on velocity.

DrMike":3335ykrf said:
About all I can do is echo JD338: "Wow!" Excellent performance. In fact, under the circumstances, I would think that bullet would work even with elk.
+1....Excellent Gerry!

Gerry, that is excellent stuff buddy. No reason for a 140 AB at those speeds at all. My 264 really likes that 140 BT as well.

I would bet even up to around 3K that bullet would do very well. I actually consider a recovery like that, outta 5 jugs to be elk class bullets. That's about all the 140 AB from the 264 and the 160 AB outta my 7 WSM will do. I wouldn't have an issue taking elk with either of those.

Great test. Very glad you did that one.

I certainly have other bullets for Noah's 260, but if he can handle the recoil, we'll focus on 140s. I don't think I'd be overly concerned about using the 140 BT on moose this fall, provided we held our shots to 200 yards or so. As it is, we'll focus on 140 PTs since I have quite a few boxes of these available.

DrMike":1rph5oqk said:
I certainly have other bullets for Noah's 260, but if he can handle the recoil, we'll focus on 140s. I don't think I'd be overly concerned about using the 140 BT on moose this fall, provided we held our shots to 200 yards or so. As it is, we'll focus on 140 PTs since I have quite a few boxes of these available.

That bullet should work really well Mike. So many great bullets in the 6.5 140 class it's hard to pick.

I would think that bullet traveling around 2700 should be magical in the penetration department.

SJB358":2hmoa3n2 said:
DrMike":2hmoa3n2 said:

That bullet should work really well Mike. So many great bullets in the 6.5 140 class it's hard to pick.

I would think that bullet traveling around 2700 should be magical in the penetration department.

I'm quite confident that it will work as it should.

It did very well Fotis. I put one into the jugs from the 264 at 3180FPS. Lost the bullet at the range but I was very impressed. I bet it's got a very thick base on it.

Palouser":1uaoetit said:
Looks great, what caliber were you shooting? .260 Remington or 6.5x55??? Just a guess based on velocity.

It is a 260 Remington and is very accurate with H 4350 and the 140 gr BT.

Sounds good it held up to 264 WM speeds Scotty, for moose and elk I would still prefer an AccuBond or Partition but it will work if a guy shoots well.

DrMike, The 140 gr PT is the bullet I'm hoping will shoot well in my wife's 6.5x55, I would like to pair it with a 120 gr BT or 129 gr Hornady for practice and deer hunting. We might just use a 140 gr BT and PT combo though depending on how it all shakes out.

Heath, It is a Savage 1 in 8 twist. I have another great load with the 130 gr AccuBond with H 4350 as well.

I had a 1/8 twist Savage that was a real nail driver. I don't know if my 1/9 twist Remington would spin the 140 NBT.

Thanks for the info

It is a pretty long bullet so I'm not sure, maybe you can find a few and give it a try. I'm glad that Remington is putting a 1 in 8 twist on their guns from now on, thankfully there are a lot of great bullets these days which will work well in a 1 in 9 twist. When I did some shooting at 300 yards last fall the 129 gr ABLR and 130 gr AccuBond both shot noticeably flatter than the 140's. I'm beginning to think that bullets of around 130 gr are the best all around bullets in the smaller 6.5's since they can be driven 150 fps faster or so on average than the typical 140 gr bullet. I still like 140's though and have shot a lot of game over the years with that weight.

I have heard several places that the 120 BT is the same bullet jacket with just a little less lead. That possible? IF so the 120 would seem to be a winner as well in the smaller 6.5's. CL

I shot the 120BT close to 3200 in a 6.5/284 and it was poison on exotics down in Texas, a much quicker killer than the 125PT even. I never shot a heavier bullet than those two in it either as I never recovered either bullet from Fallow and similar sized. Wicked.

Back