Handloader
Nov 18, 2013
25 yards
2825 fps
Third 5 gal bucket...lost two out the side of jugs
image_zpssjvv6xgw.jpg

image_zps9qxcvwby.jpg

image_zps8n4cv8jt.jpg

The SST has been a fave of mine as long as I use heavy for calibre and keep impact speeds moderate ie 2900 and below.

The 150g in the 270 Win at 2950fps MV - whoah mumma!!!

Very nice. That bullet would do good work at those sorta speeds. Looks to have a healthy shank left on it.

We have shot the same bullet in 260 and 6.5x55 but have wondered if they will just turn to shrapnel on game after reading some people's opinions of the SST. Looks like it will work fine on deer sized game after seeing this test, thanks.

The SST gets a bad rap from some. I think it is largely unjustified with one caveat...

I have found the lighter ones don't penetrate as well as the heavier ones. Well "DUH" you might say! This is the same with all bullets when all other parameters are equal.

But for some reason with the SST people decry this as a design failing.

Let's face it, the only reason to use a lighter bullet in a big game rifle is to reduce recoil. This comes with a trade off. If you want a lighter recoiling rifle you just might need to place your shots more precisely.

The above example of the SST looks to have done pretty well and I'd argue largely because bullet weight was high and impact velocity moderate, within the intended design envelope.

I have found the sst to hold up quite well the couple times I've tried them. Ive never pushed them too fast though

I have killed probably 20 deer with the 140 gr SST in my 6.5 x 55, all the way up to 200# bucks. I have lost only 1 deer to what I think was a low, brisket grazing shot and no blood trail at all. All others were DRT or very short blood trails. Although I have now loaded up with 140 gr NBT's (thanks to Shooters Pro Shops Blems), I have no concerns at all using SST's.

It is pretty funny when folks comment about SST bullets
that have either heard or read by some "source", back when they were introduced, That they are somehow "soft" and wont give you ample penatrations ? Those sourses then go on and on about the merits of how there favorite bullets ( in gun writers case probably free samples from the manufacture) will penetrate 6/8 milk jugs and how it performs exactly the same at 10yds or 1000yds at 1500fps or 4000fps, and on and on dribble, that is usually 99.9% BS.
One should remember when Hornady designed this bullet: They designed it for "DEER HUNTING" and for that purpose it works as well or BETTER than anything avaiable today period. Shooting Bitteroot or Northfolk or any bonded bullet at 200lb deer is ridiculous in my opinion, What for ?? When you can already shoot right thru any deer, with about any cheap bullet ? Whats the point??? Then there is this "Elmer Keith" crowd that wants to shoot thru everything to get a blood trail to follow ? Well that can end up with alot of following...
The SST bullet has no peers: when it comes to getting instant kills on DEER, that is what it was designed to do and it delivers big time . Thats a fact.
If you need more penatration then what is required for DEER, And will be hunting 800/1200 lb animals there are many fine bullets with heavy jackets and bonded cores and that is fine; But there is alot of hype on here, that you need that to kill a red squirel ?? Why? I guess to justify speeding $50 plus on a box of fifty bullets.??? Ok; and then they always comment how "great they look" Ok, for what ever thats worth......
Well none of that means squat : when it comes back to killing a deer effectively. The rumors, the milk jugs, how pretty blue tips are........ Its all BS, no one makes a better bullet to kill a 200lb Buck DEER than the HORNADY SST bullet. I fully realize there is a staunch following on here for Ballistic Tip bullets on this forum, And you would be "preaching to the choir" to discuss them with me; after I have used them at one time exclusively for 30 YEARS, But even though I lost interest in them originally; When Nosler doubled the price of them effectively; by selling them 50 in a bag. If I thought for One second, they were "a better deer bullet" than what I am shooting, than I would simply pay the preamium.........
When I am hunting ANY game that weighes less than 300lbs my gun is loaded with SST bullets.

Back