123 gr Custom Competition on deer?

hunt127588

Beginner
Feb 27, 2007
I want to use the 123 gr custom competition on deer out of my .260 this Fall. Who has tried it and how did they perform? I realize this is not a hunting bullet but could not pass up the price and BC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not something I would do. The manufacturer classifies this bullet as a match bullet for a reason.

I think you could have mixed results with them. Doesn't take much to kill deer but ive seen the Custom Comps do odd things in water jugs.

1st one might work great. 2nd might pencil through. 3rd might explode......Not a good idea. Save them for building up loads and then switch to a 'hunting' bullet for confirmation.

Game deserves our respect beyond saving a $, or two, using a bullet not designed for the intended purpose.

The Custom Comps are target bullets, not hunting bullets.

JD338

It would be instresting to know how the 123gr 6.5 Hornady SST would do on the milk jug test at both low intensity cartridge and high intensity like .264 Win Mag ?
While I love Nosler's 120gr BT the higher BC of Hornady's 123gr looks good. Would be a long point blank range.

I've got 120 BTs and 123 Amaxs loaded in the swede. If I can I'll jug test them.

Sounds like great combo to just shoot CCs all summer and
Simply have a box of SSTs ready for hunting season. Think I may just do that!

I know this is an old post, but I just saw it so I'll share some experience.

Running the 123CC in my 6.5 Swedish military M96, I had a couple of rotational disintigrations this summer at range. Clearly not one of the "stouter" match bullets. Have also fired them into soft targets... jugs of water and vegetables... and the results are similar to Hornady Vmax.

Back