140gr Accubond vs Dirt/shale

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Shot from the 264WM into dirt/shale mix at 100 yards. At the range I go to, I can occasionally find bullets in the dirt bank. This one I'm positive is from the 264, as it was still hot to the touch when I found it!

This load leaves the gun between 3250 and 3300. I'd have to check QL, but I'd guess the impact speed was still well north of 3000. I think Nosler says the AB is good up to an impact speed of 3200, and I'd bet it was flirting with that.

48A2623E-7388-4231-A85C-E10B0AC74707_zps61mbhejg.jpg

Now, that's a mangled up mess, but look at this pic...

D6D3242C-FCC6-42D3-94EF-48D2232D7EA6_zpszokgoch1.jpg

Of note, you can see the shape of the base of the bullet is still there. In essence, it peeled back and maintained the bullet's shape, but it hit hard enough to peel pack all the way to the boattail, practically. My assumption on the lost mass, then, is as more lead blossomed out in the expansion, it was sheered off or "smeared" off and left what I found.

When I shot 110AB's from the 25-06 I owned for a hot second, they looked a lot like this. They were going pretty fast, as well, and peeled back about the same way as these.

Considering that's shot into a pretty rocky dirt bank, that bullet took one hell of hit when it reached the bank.

What a horrible thing to do to a bullet, Tom! It appears to have stood the test, however. (y)

I've shot only one animal with this load. That was a whitetail doe at 80-ish yards, broadside through the shoulders.

She was put down immediately without even a twitch following the shot. It was a dramatic drt for sure.

Holes in the hide were what you'd expect. The front shoulders were both entirely a loss. No recoverable meat from either of them. I've never seen such a mess.

Back