Four 6.5mm 140gr Accubonds vs Mule deer shoulder *graphic*

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
On my recent mulie hunt, I encountered a fairly stubborn mule deer buck who refused to acknowledge his demise.

This resulted in four, yes four, shots from my 264 Win Mag.

MV = 3300fps (load needs to be reduced but I squeaked in a hunt before reworking it later on)

Shot distance:

Shots 1,2 = 215 yards; impact speed = 2900fps

Shot 3 = 60-70 yards; impact speed = 3100fps+

Shot 4 = 2 feet; impact speed = MV

Shots 1-3 were and inch or so below the spine, angled down, and through the shoulder.

Shot 4 was about midway vertically on the chest and at the back of the shoulder/leg.

Entrance wounds:

E5E16206-D7BF-4A8A-8A36-6B3F193505FE_zpszkok7hgw.jpg

Exits (found exits for all 4):

CD0F301D-FBC1-49FE-8CB9-8A426D3224BA_zpspgzx4unz.jpg

Internal view (you can see the three holes up near the spine to the left that are entrances, and corresponding damage lower on the right side):

74D522B4-5D08-4C69-9D4A-12511D256ED4_zpsctl9ff5r.jpg

So, no chuck or shoulder roasts? And no rib eye? Man, you are violent, Tom. Yeah, you'd better send that .264 down the road. As an act of kindness, I'll take it and won't even charge you for the service. :grin: Mulies can be tough; they do have a desire to live, that's for sure.

It never ceases to amaze me what some deer can take. I have seen them bang flop many times with my .308 but the first deer I shot with my 300 WSM was right in the boiler room with a BT that disintegrated in the vitals exploding heart and lungs, that deer ran 100 more yds and I had to follow up with high shoulder shot to put him down for good. My old man hit one with 400gr sled out of his 45-70 head on, bullet entered the chest just below the white spot and exited the left ham. Range was about 70yds. That little buck went almost 200yds falling down twice before he expired, we poured out what was left inside when we field dressed him. I am very suprised with your shots so close to the spine it didn't drop him.

Hit a small cow Elk one year in the shoulder with a .30-06 from about 75 yards. The shoulder was ruined and the leg joint was exploded from the shock. It took one to the head to finish her off. She was good eating though I wish I had hit her better.

Must have been a nice rack to not shoot your MD in the head for a finisher.

26NosFan":3secu6zw said:
It never ceases to amaze me what some deer can take. I have seen them bang flop many times with my .308 but the first deer I shot with my 300 WSM was right in the boiler room with a BT that disintegrated in the vitals exploding heart and lungs, that deer ran 100 more yds and I had to follow up with high shoulder shot to put him down for good. My old man hit one with 400gr sled out of his 45-70 head on, bullet entered the chest just below the white spot and exited the left ham. Range was about 70yds. That little buck went almost 200yds falling down twice before he expired, we poured out what was left inside when we field dressed him. I am very suprised with your shots so close to the spine it didn't drop him.

He was bedded when I shot him and he never got up. I have no doubt that ANY of the 4 shots would have caused his demise in time, but I'm not capable of watching that process without trying to hasten it. I know hunters that are, but I am not one of them. Not critical of those who do that, I just can't.

He was not a monster, but I wasn't keen on blowing apart the rack, no.

Back