6.5 mm 156 gr Oryx

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
My friends went out today bear hunting and one of them shot his first bear (and I believe his first big game animal) with my 264 Win Mag using a 156 gr Norma Oryx. They recovered a bullet from the finishing shot at close range so the impact velocity would have been around 2850 fps. The bullet hit a shoulder blade and it sounds like it was in the hide of the far side. I wish I could have been there but had to work, at least my rifle was there :)

2850 fps - 104.3 gr - (66.8%)

Borrowed rifles always kill more game. :mrgreen: Sorta like borrowed lures when fishing are always more productive. (y) Great performance; and congratulations to your friend on his first bear.

Well done Gerry, congratulations to all.

JD338

Geezz Louise ! Everybody knows you can't kill a bear with a .264 ! Send that bear and your friend back out and do it properly.

And THIS time use a 'real' bear weapon, like a 375 H&H, or a 45/70, or a 338 WM , or at least max load an Ought 6 with a 200 gr Nosler PT !!!!!!!!!

(rookies)

Ha ha :) is this a bad time to let you know of the bears we have downed with the 260 Rem and 6.5x55? :lol:

At first when they showed me the bullet I thought it had lost a lot of weight but in weighing it, it wasn't too bad. There must be a lot of jacket material in the overall weight. We are planning some goat hunting this year and I'm hopeful he will get a chance at round 2 with the same bullet. Or we might switch it up and use the 155 gr Lapua Mega bullet ;)

Looks pretty good. Seems like a lot of lead came off but it still looks pretty danged good.

Sorta looks like a PT.

Can I ask where are you buying your Norma bullets from? Ive never seen them sell bullets, only powder and brass

Back