270 Win 130 grain Tipped Trophy Bonded

BretN":1gegjny1 said:
They are a great bullet as near as I can tell, so hopefully they'll make them in more calibers. Most of our shots are 50 yards or less, which I think tends to be harder on bullets than a shot further out when the bullet has slowed some. I probably should have been using partitions or AB's for years, and do have a good AB load for my 280. But I wanted to try this new bullet with the new to me 270. Perfect exit wound and blood trail. I was surprised the buck went 40 yards, but I didn't hit the shoulders or spine so that's pretty common for me. I will definitely keep using this bullet.

Over the summer I had no trouble getting very accurate groups with RL19, as suggested by Federal. 56 gr. RL19 were usually around 1/2" and 58 gr was just under or at MOA. The last few trips to the range have been colder and the groups have opened some, still around 1.25-1.5" with 58 gr. RL19. Don't have any FPS chrono readings, but I suspect the bullets are going a little slower with the RL19 in the cold and coming out of the node a bit. Anyone else experience anything like this with RL19? For my hunting purposes, it doesn't matter, just curious. Thanks

Without a doubt Bret. I always worked with 19 closer to my hunting temps. I haven’t seen it get real bad but if I worked up loads in the 50-60’s I never had trouble down into the 20-30’s. I’ve always tried to stay with 40-50 degrees of my hunting temps if possible and since I’ve been finding nodes a little easier these days my loads have stayed better even with the temp changes.

Looks great...great bullet. I haven't fired them yet but have about 200 of them. Also have the 160s for my 280 that are really moving with RL26.

Are they easy to work up loads with? Pressures? are they hard to get to shoot well?

FOTIS":3swyipju said:
Are they easy to work up loads with? Pressures? are they hard to get to shoot well?

Not in my experience Fotis. So far a 280, couple 270’s and my Mashburn have been pretty easy. I start all of them .050” back and haven’t had to mess around too much with them.

AFG270":1ju54my9 said:
Thanks, Scotty. I think I will also give some 160g a try in my son's 7mm RM, should make a great elk load for him this Fall. Has anyone seen BC info on these bullets yet? Don't see it on Federal or Midway's websites.

The balllistic coefficients are shown with the ammo, not the bullets. If you go to this webpage: https://www.federalpremium.com/products ... nded%20Tip

and click on the "See Details" buttom for any cartridge, you will find the B.C. for the bullet. The .277 bullets have B.C.'s of .44 for the 130 gr. and .455 for the 140 gr.

The 160 gr. 7mm bullet has a B.C. of .52.

Dan

Yeah... you need one of them new fangled rounds to kill stuff....that 270 wont work.... yeah right. Looks bout as perfect as you can get. CL

NYDAN":1dpazc42 said:
AFG270":1dpazc42 said:
Thanks, Scotty. I think I will also give some 160g a try in my son's 7mm RM, should make a great elk load for him this Fall. Has anyone seen BC info on these bullets yet? Don't see it on Federal or Midway's websites.

The balllistic coefficients are shown with the ammo, not the bullets. If you go to this webpage: https://www.federalpremium.com/products ... nded%20Tip

and click on the "See Details" button for any cartridge, you will find the B.C. for the bullet. The .277 bullets have B.C.'s of .44 for the 130 gr. and .455 for the 140 gr.

The 160 gr. 7mm bullet has a B.C. of .52.

Dan

Thanks Dan, I actually have not looked up the BC for this one. I simply zeroed it at 300 and shot out to 400 and 500.. Since it has a 4X on top with no knobs, I figured it didn't matter much.. :mrgreen:

Good info though, I will stash that and input it into the ballistics software to build my dope chart..

Back