270 Win E-tip and northern whitetail

jhuener

Beginner
Dec 13, 2008
Excellent performance once again from the 270 130 grain E-tip. The shot was at a large 10 point northern Minnesota whitetail in a hard quartering on position - almost head-on. The buck was about 70 yards away and screened by thin brush, but I could see a 6-8" window on his brisket. I was hoping he would continue into the open, but he started bobbing his head up and down - I suspect he saw my silhouette in a portable tree stand. I realized that this was the only shot I would get. The rifle seemed solid, and I took the shot.

At the shot the buck took off with his left shoulder immobile. He went about 40 yards and piled up. As he expired he hit a tree hard enough to break off one of his brow tines and the end of one beam.

A post-mortem showed that the bullet hit about 1-2" left of center where the brisket meets the neck leaving a .277 diameter entrance. I found the bullet buried in the fat layer under the hide just behind the last rib on the right side. Retained weight was 129 grains, which to me indicates complete weight retention minus the acrylic tip (plus a little bit of venison that I missed under one of the curls). Mushroom consists of four even petals (as usual). The bullet took off the arteries over the heart but didn't impact any of the quarters. There must have been enough shock to deaden the one shoulder at impact.

Attachments

• DSC_0137 (600 x 400).jpg
    DSC_0137 (600 x 400).jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,031
Perfect performance with that bullet and congratulations on your buck, he sounds like a real nice one. What's your cartridge and load if you don't mind me asking?

Congratulations on your big woods buck and nice catch on the E-Tip. Picture perfect performance right there.

JD338

Hi Gerry,

The cartridge is a .270 Win (I grew up reading Jack O'Connor - was there any choice once someone made a left handed one?). I think I'm using Winchester brass, CCI 200 primers and IMR 4831 (I want to say 55.0 grains, but I'm not in my reloading room).

Joel

jhuener":81mf3p9c said:
Hi Gerry,

The cartridge is a .270 Win (I grew up reading Jack O'Connor - was there any choice once someone made a left handed one?). I think I'm using Winchester brass, CCI 200 primers and IMR 4831 (I want to say 55.0 grains, but I'm not in my reloading room).

Joel

Awesome, the 270 Win is one of my favourite deer and black bear rounds, mine is a left hand Sako 85. Might have to give that E Tip a try one day too.

The E-Tip rapidly made its way to the top of my preferred bullets in a number of cartridges. Not at all surprised that it performed well for you. Congratulations on your;; whitetail.

Very nice. Congrats on the buck and excellent bullet recovery. Those suckers looked great pulled outta dead bucks.

jhuener":3h4byapt said:
Hi Gerry,

Joel
Me too !! love JOC, taking my LH Sako to be get a new Brux barrel. 30 years of shooting and hunting !

lhsako":1i4laqkj said:
jhuener":1i4laqkj said:
Hi Gerry,

Joel
Me too !! love JOC, taking my LH Sako to be get a new Brux barrel. 30 years of shooting and hunting !

Nice! Mine's been rebarreled as well actually with a 1 in 9 twist Benchmark. Had a LH Rem 700 CDL for a while that was a nice rifle too.

Back