.270 win..130 gr trophy bonded tip recovery

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
I am a Partition fan, but here is a pick that a buddy just sent me of a .270 win with this 130gr TB bullet..looks great..

270wintrophybondedtip.jpg

They are certainly attractive bullets. The 175 grain TBBC always delivered the goods for me in my 7RM.

Wow, Lou, that bullet looks really good. Picture perfect comes to mind.

My old man shot his brown bear with a 225 TBBC, it looks the same. Just great bullets, hard to get your hands on them as handloaders though!

Man, he sent me this pic that he had saved....I am trying to get full details :oops: ..Im working on it, but it was recoverd at 350yds bull elk fom montana, I believe...it weighed 125grs of 130grs..not bad!..muzzle velocity was 3200 fps...federal high energy factory loads....very impressive though...Im still working on the full details..Lou

I recovered several TBBC bullets from moose, elk and black bear. I don't remember ever getting less than 96% weight recovery with them. They are certainly a great bullet.

Looks great to me. So many great bullets, PTs, A-Frames, TBBC's, Scirocco's, AB's and a few others that are just indestructible..

Thanks for the pic. You can't ask for anything more from a bullet. I'm surprised it expanded that much at 325 yds. Especially from the the measly .270Win...

I have a box of the 140gr TBBC which I have never worked up loads for. Intention was for an elk load but the Accubonds shot so well I figured I wasn't missing much. Your pic makes me second guess myself.

They are an excellent bullet.

If was tackling tough stuff with the lighter calibers for heavy game, the PT's, Swift's and TBBC would be at the top of my list...

Heck, who I am kidding, those are the same bullets always at the top of my list!

Lou,

That is impressive! It doesn't get any better than that.

JD338

DrMike":1stowd9f said:
I recovered several TBBC bullets from moose, elk and black bear. I don't remember ever getting less than 96% weight recovery with them. They are certainly a great bullet.

I agree Mike...maybe even too tough unless you hit heavy bone and such at hyper velocity..I too have taken big game with the TBBC bullet, i think it's much better than the TB tipped version...used a 300wsm 180gr tipped version on 2 caribou in 2008 @75 yds with perfect shots, bullet penciled in and out, with minimal internal damage...could'nt believe it, obviously the bullet was too tough for the job, a Partition would have been a better choice for sure..These bullets are great at high speeds, but would opt for the lightest weight for caliber, because unless heavy bone is struck, expansion is not that great..im shooting the .270win and love the 150gr partitions for sure, would those 130gr TB tips work, i'm very sure, but at that speed, expansion would not be the same as the Partition..however with that said, my 45-70 well be shooting 300gr TBBC's for sure :wink: ...Lou
BTW...I might just try the 130gr in my .270win...hmm :shock:

BigBear":bx1kiqoi said:
DrMike":bx1kiqoi said:

I agree Mike...maybe even too tough unless you hit heavy bone and such at hyper velocity..I too have taken big game with the TBBC bullet, i think it's much better than the TB tipped version...used a 300wsm 180gr tipped version on 2 caribou in 2008 @75 yds with perfect shots, bullet penciled in and out, with minimal internal damage...could'nt believe it, obviously the bullet was too tough for the job, a Partition would have been a better choice for sure..These bullets are great at high speeds, but would opt for the lightest weight for caliber, because unless heavy bone is struck, expansion is not that great..im shooting the .270win and love the 150gr partitions for sure, would those 130gr TB tips work, i'm very sure, but at that speed, expansion would not be the same as the Partition..however with that said, my 45-70 well be shooting 300gr TBBC's for sure :wink: ...Lou

Sounds like a range day happening Lou... A riflemans work is never done..

SJB358":3bbzzzk0 said:
BigBear":3bbzzzk0 said:
DrMike":3bbzzzk0 said:

Sounds like a range day happening Lou... A riflemans work is never done..

:wink: ..now how did you know pal!...kinda matches the rifle too hey? :twisted: :wink:

Yes, I've also witnessed one occasion the TBBC doing less internal damage than I would have liked, but they always seemed to bring home the game in the final analysis.

SJB358":22jugtim said:
Wow, Lou, that bullet looks really good. Picture perfect comes to mind.

My old man shot his brown bear with a 225 TBBC, it looks the same. Just great bullets, hard to get your hands on them as handloaders though!

http://www.lolosportinggoods.com/

You might try calling Lolo Sporting Goods in Lewiston, Idaho. I think I am right by saying that Federal Premium Ammo (which includes Trophy Bonded Tip (TBT) ammo) is loaded in Lewiston, Idaho at the ATK facility. I have seen Trophy Bonded Tip (individual bullets) for sale at Lolo. I think they said that if they had a problem with a lot for whatever reason (bad primers, brass or powder) they sell the individual bullets to Lolo for resale. Sometimes they have them and sometimes they don't but if you want to reload them, that may be a place to try!

Todd

Yeah, they usually have some for various calibers in component form. Federal has a loading plant in lewiston ATK and if there is a bad lot of loaded bullets (seated to the wrong depth or some other problem) they tear the bullets down and sell them as components.

Back