(3) 150 Part Gold recovered

pre6422hornet

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
I don't see too many recovered here so I figured I would post my little group.

Left to right: 1. 150 yard quartering away cow elk, entered on the second to last rib, broke off shoulder and was resting under the hide.
2. 100 yard into a very wet embankment
3. 100 yard same embankment same day.

All the weights are pretty impressive in my book and one reason is why I will not shoot anything but Noslers at game. Although my model 71 doesn't have a Nosler it can eat right now (hint, hint Nosler).

Load is Rem brass, 52.5 IMR 4350, once fired brass neck sized. Never chrono'd but book claims 2900 about.

Partition001.jpg

I bought 5 or 6 boxes of the Part Gold when they were discontinued. Still have 4 left.

Excellent and impressive performance. It is fascinating that I have several boxes of the PG, and I have never loaded them in any of my rifles. Your target may compel me to rectify that deficit.

That's awesome performance! How far did you have to dig in the dirt/mud to find those last 2?

DrMike":e9yhdy3f said:
Excellent and impressive performance. It is fascinating that I have several boxes of the PG, and I have never loaded them in any of my rifles. Your target may compel me to rectify that deficit.

Dr. I can't believe they didn't catch on better. With this load I have taken two mulie bucks, one bull elk and the cow. I like to track in the snow and the bull was taken at a distance of 30 yards as he stood up in his bed. Dropped like a lightning bolt hit him through both shoulders.

One mulie was about 130 yards, took him through the lungs and he made one bound. The other mulie was tracked up and shot in his bed as he lay looking at me. Never moved. Entrance wound at base of neck and exit was in front of the right ham.

This bullet is amazing. And it shoots really well in any .270 I have ran in it in.

widgeon":wwbcfa4w said:
That's awesome performance! How far did you have to dig in the dirt/mud to find those last 2?

It was about 10 years ago and if my memory serves me correct 16 -20 inches. And this mound was not loose at all. Actually it was a small rise we used to shoot into in the middle of a hay field. The hay field was in a bowl and this little rise was right in the middle. We would in effect shoot down into the bowl, into the hill if you can picture it.

That's pretty impressive. That 270 with that little old bullet sure worked perfectly! You hearing me Scotty! :mrgreen:
David

I've always heard good things about the PG, I just never loaded it myself. I suspect one reason is that note many CT components were ever available this far north. I grabbed all I could from the local GS over the years, and I have shot some BST, especially in my 280. It has served me well. However, it was the FS, especially in my 300 WSM and in my 7RM that I used, scouring every GS between here and Vancouver to take all I could. The PGs were scooped up more because they were there. I'll perhaps do a little work with what I have this winter.

Great pictures Pat. That is an awesome bullet, wished I could still get them as they would be awesome in the 270WSM and WBY as well.

pre6422hornet":3rxb0m5w said:
widgeon":3rxb0m5w said:

It was about 10 years ago and if my memory serves me correct 16 -20 inches. And this mound was not loose at all. Actually it was a small rise we used to shoot into in the middle of a hay field. The hay field was in a bowl and this little rise was right in the middle. We would in effect shoot down into the bowl, into the hill if you can picture it.

That's great penetration. There was a recent thread here about a good bullet testing medium. I was wondering if drywall mud would work. I guess if regular mud works, drywall mud would be fine. :D

Thats awsome!...my hat's off to the .270..there's just something magical to it.. :grin: :wink:

Very interesting !!!! seems as though soil just about duplicates perfromance on quatering shots on elk....hmmmm

Here are a couple more from last fall's cow elk. Distance was 200 yards, MV=2800 fps. Looks like the PGs are boringly consistent.
PC100002.jpg

PC100001.jpg

I am with Mike, those are perfect. Talk about a premo bullet for the bigger WSM and WBY cases. That is a whole lotta shank left on that bullet. I can't help but think they would act like a drill through animals...

Anybody know why Nosler dropped them.... Maybe pay offs from other bullet makers that were scared of having to close their doors if they kept making it? :twisted:

Agree there is no better bullet IMO for Elk, Moose, etc... in the .270's.

They just flat out perform. Period.

Those pics just back up what I have found personaly.

I have a couple 338 250 gr PTG's shot from my 338 RUM into water jugs and they look the same.

JD338

Years ago midway got a bunch of 150 grain 308 coated part golds and sold them for $4.99/50. I bought 10 boxes cause I was fearful some of my guns wouldn't like them. Do I now wish I'd bought more?? BTW they were excellent accurate.

One day I was bored and disected one. I was shocked at how quick the jacket got thick on that sucker. I mean really thick just down from the lead tip. I would have absolutely no problem running that bullet at even 300 wby speeds at any non dangerous game. I can't imagine that bullet losing more than 20% of it's weight no matter what animal it got run into.

Back