.270 wsm 140gr Accubond & 150gr Norma Oryx vs the jugs..

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
Did some testing today with the 140gr AccuBond @3200 fps and the 150gr oryx @3120 fps @ 25yds using water filled jugs..the AccuBond made it into the 5th jug, and the norma oryx made it into the 7th jug. I made a mistake in the video clip, I said by mistake it was a 140gr Partition, were it was the AccuBond..here's a few video clips...just click on the pic..thanks for watching, Lou.

150gr Norma Oryx @3120fps (7th jug)

140gr Nosler AccuBond @3200fps (5th jug)

More pics to follow, regards...Lou :grin:

Here's some pics from my results fellas..
140gr AccuBond retained 86grs = 62%..150gr Oryx 112grs =75%
009-1.jpg

008-2.jpg

007-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

Both are awsome bullets, and shoot real well in my Sako 85....it was real fun testing bullets again, good luck hunting/shooting to all :grin: ...Lou

Lou,

Nicely done. You can call it Acc Lou Bond Productions! :mrgreen:
Good performance for sure.

JD338

The Oryx is an excellent bullet. I used it in both my 7RM and my 280 years ago. Those are impressive tests. Thanks for posting.

Awesome! No surprises here. Thanks for the effort and results.

Has anyone pushed any AB beyond 3200fps? Maybe one of the 264WM or 7mmWthby or 270Wthby users.

Here's another pic fellas...the bullet on the left is an 140gr AccuBond i recovered using a .270 win @ 2950fps @25yds, and caught in the 5th jug it weighs 98grs for 70% weight retention, then the .270wsm norma oryx in the middle, and 140gr AccuBond 86grs for 62% weight retention from .270wsm as well, awsome bullets for sure..Lou
010-1.jpg

Good photos, good tests!

Was very impressed with the Norma Oryx - it hangs together and penetrates very well. Either bullet should do fine.

You've used them both on game?

Guy Miner":3977jtpa said:
Good photos, good tests!

Was very impressed with the Norma Oryx - it hangs together and penetrates very well. Either bullet should do fine.

You've used them both on game?

No, not yet Guy..have mainly used nosler partitions from .30-.338 calibers from Deer/Black Bear and Moose. This well be the first year that I'm hunting with the AccuBond/Oryx..Many hunters up here use the Norma Oryx, so I had to see for myself..They both shoot sub-moa for me,and both hold together very well, for Moose I really like the 150's, although the 140's well do the job just fine.Either way, my boone & crockett scope is set-up for both these loads for nfld Moose this fall :wink: ..Lou

Lou, both look real good thanks for posting. Do you know where we can buy the Oryx bullet for reloading?

I used to buy Norma ammunition (though no components) through SIR (now, Cabela's).

gerry":m5oser9x said:
Lou, both look real good thanks for posting. Do you know where we can buy the Oryx bullet for reloading?

MidwayUSA has the Oryx's and they have them in some good weights for hunting.

CatskillCrawler":3qfcvvve said:
Awesome! No surprises here. Thanks for the effort and results.

Has anyone pushed any AB beyond 3200fps? Maybe one of the 264WM or 7mmWthby or 270Wthby users.

Hear is the 130 AB out of the 264 at nearly 3400 CC. It held up pretty decent. It was ran into the jugs around 20 yards or so.

DSC_2960.jpg

DSC_2959.jpg

DSC_2957.jpg

They held up pretty well I think..

Lou, awesome tests buddy! That Oryx is a performer. 1st rate bullet performance right there. Man, that would be a tough choice for me. Both of them look like moose stompers for sure! Great video's buddy.

I was truly surprised at how tough the Oryx proved to be. I need to dig out what remains of the ammunition loaded with Oryx bullets that lurks somewhere in my gun room.

gerry":1xrl8z9m said:

Thanks Gerry, any Norma dealer in Canada and the USA should have them, if not they can order them for you from fn sports in Quebec (canadian distributer for norma)..Lou

DrMike":24wfggyv said:
I was truly surprised at how tough the Oryx proved to be. I need to dig out what remains of the ammunition loaded with Oryx bullets that lurks somewhere in my gun room.

It has given me some pause. They have a 156 Oryx for the 7x57 Mauser that just might be pretty cool in my son's rifle. Might have to order a box the next time I buy some bullets. They look fantastic to me. That bullet from the 270WSM was smoking and did 7 jugs. There isn't much on this side of the world that would need more than that. That is very impressive to me.

SJB358":3py1fqnj said:
DrMike":3py1fqnj said:

It has given me some pause. They have a 156 Oryx for the 7x57 Mauser that just might be pretty cool in my son's rifle. Might have to order a box the next time I buy some bullets. They look fantastic to me. That bullet from the 270WSM was smoking and did 7 jugs. There isn't much on this side of the world that would need more than that. That is very impressive to me.

Scotty, the Oryx also punctured the 8th jug, but was clearly caught in the 7th, the mushroom looks like a 20 Ga slug, clearly an ultra premium bullet, your buddy, Lou :wink:

SJB358":3mxyy0m4 said:
Hear is the 130 AB out of the 264 at nearly 3400 CC. It held up pretty decent. It was ran into the jugs around 20 yards or so.

They held up pretty well I think..

Thanks! That is impressive.

I looked thru the Oryx bullet selection, Norma knows its stuff, they all make sense to me.

LOL....my brain is spinning up. NOooooooo I already have enough bullet ideas bouncing around my cranial collider.

I have the 170 Oryx loaded for both the 280 Remington and the 7mm RM. It is a fine bullet. However, I've drifted to other bullets in later years. The 7RM generally shoots either the 175 TBBC or the 175 PT. The 280 is normally loaded with 139 InterLocks or 140 BSTs. I've only recently begun to load 140 grain PTs in my 280.

Back