Remington 130 Grain Core Lokt

Palouser

Handloader
Jan 20, 2012
I sighted in my 1958 Model 70 in 270 Win was using factory Remington 130 Grain Core Lokt ammo. I was going to start to develop loads after the new barrel is installed. After getting it on paper (25 yards) and sighted in at 100 yards, the first group was 1.08". The second group was .598". I then shot a 4th shot on this group. If you measured the last 3 shots of these 4 total shots, the group size was .1605". I couldn't believe it. I expected 2"-3". I guess I can cancel my order for the Kreiger barrel and am going to go buy 5-10 boxes of factory Remington 130 grain Core-Lokt because it obviously loves them. I then performed a bullet test on this bullet. I found the slug in the 5th jug. It weighed 79.6 grains for 61.2% retained. I am really impressed with these results from ammunition that costs $18.97 at the local gun/hardware store.

The pictures of the rifle and targets can be found unter the reloading section, then Pre 64 Model 70 270 Range Day.

Todd

View attachment IMG_2623.JPG

View attachment IMG_2626.JPG

View attachment IMG_2627.JPG

View attachment IMG_2628.JPG

View attachment IMG_2630.JPG

View attachment IMG_2631.JPG

That performance doesn't get any better for deer sized game.

JD338

If I had a dollar for every deer that has been taken with the Core-Lokt ... well I bet I could retire. My opinion is the core-lokt was the best "factory" bullet running for decades. I've seen too many deer and elk taken with them to not believe they are up to the task.
I have seen and experienced core separation on the bigger bones though. But on deer sized game - shoot away.

Hi there All :

But I think American Winchester Super X 's are great with regards to expansion and velocity and of course high energy.

My last hunting with 130Gr. Win. super X is a huge boar around 200Kgs. one shot one kill from 320 Meters =350Yards.

it moved only 10-20 meters then down. it was near to shoot the second super X but the first one done perfect.
Remington is great but for our 270win , I think it wounded.
I missed very much to shoot one or two of it but , hmmm, I have Nosler and everything is with it.
Best Regards
Rami

Back