270WSM 150ABLR 3140FPS

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I was doing a little shooting today, still trying to tweak my load for the new ABLR, but I had some jugs laying around, so, you know where this is all going.

The bullet was found in the bottom of the 4th jug.

It retained 52.9 grains
null_zps2489bf85.jpg
[/URL]

It expanded to .493"

That was put into the jugs at 3140/3150, at about 7 yards, right off the end of the muzzle. I know it doesn't look like a ton of penetration, but when you think of the punishment it went through, its pretty good. For reference, a regular 160 AB outta the 7mm WSM, will only be in the 5th jug, so it really isn't giving up too awfully much.

It promises to be a most valuable addition to the arsenal of those shooting .277 calibre cartridges.

DrMike":5fty3f7e said:
It promises to be a most valuable addition to the arsenal of those shooting .277 calibre cartridges.

Mike, you can't snub the poor old 270's anymore buddy! Heck, haven't you taken more animals with that danged 270WSM since I have known you than just about any other rifle? Seems like everytime I turn around there is some poor old moose or elk that has been hammered by that little .277....... :lol:

Oh, yeah, the 270WSM will kill animals, and it will do so with aplomb. I just prefer the 7mmWSM or the 325WSM. There is no doubt that the 150 ABLR will serve well in that rifle, however.

Looks like it isn't as tough as the regular AccuBond but still performs pretty good at close range, it should expand well way out there though. It's a good trade off for long range shooting IMO. My 277 150 ABLR's came in the mail a couple of days ago but there isn't a rifle to shoot them in..............yet :)

Send them over here, Gerry. I'll let you know if they are any good. :grin:

I'm sure you would like them :)

Comparing them to a regular AccuBond they are definitely much more sleek, they look really good.

gerry":1aqg7ywm said:
Looks like it isn't as tough as the regular AccuBond but still performs pretty good at close range, it should expand well way out there though. It's a good trade off for long range shooting IMO. My 277 150 ABLR's came in the mail a couple of days ago but there isn't a rifle to shoot them in..............yet :)

Send them to me and i will try them in my 270 and report to you ! :grin: LOL

Cheers :) RJ

Scotty

That is some impressive performance right there. I wouldn't hesitate putting one through a shoulder blade.
I am waiting on some 7mm 168 gr and 150 gr ABLR's to arrive. I've got a pretty good idea for loads in my 280 AI.
Looking forward to putting one in a WT pretty quick, the farm is a target rich environment. :)

JD338

Looks good Scotty, those .277 bullets well hammer elk/moose with no problem pal :) ..Lou

Oldtrader3":3df58ovx said:
Sounds as though the .270 just became a real elk rifle! :mrgreen:

So here is a comparison, that is sorta fun to wrap your mind around, the 338 Win Mag, 210 PT at 3050 muzzle velocity carries approximately 1500ftlbs to 600 yards, while my 270WSM with this 150 at 3140 carries that same 1500 ftlbs to about 750..... Pretty interesting really. Again, it is a little jaded, as the 338 has the edge in diameter and mass, but should a longer shot be needed, it is a good frame of reference to just how powerful even just a 270 Win with a 150 at 3000 is...

Shooting is going very well with these bullets. Groups are looking good, and should be under MOA or better when I am through with em.

Gerry, your right, at 7 yards, they aren't very "tough", like a regular AB or PT, but I think they will really begin to shine 300 and above, where they slow and stabilize. I believe they'll hold onto some more weight still drive very deeply.

Looking forward to some folks with reports on them as the Fall approaches.

I ran one into some 2.5 gal chem jugs yesterday. They were leaving the 270 Weatherby @ 3190. @ 60 yards it was stuck in the back side of the second jug. Funny thing, that is the same place that a 225 AB out of my 338 WM ends up. I would put some picks up, but Scotty might think I stole his picks. My slug looked identical to the one Scotty posted, only a tad shorter. The first jug was pretty ripped up. I'm really excited to put these into a critter!

Very nice Scotty and Jmad!

I went out on friday and verified my load, but the range was full so no jug test for me on that day.

Scotty, what is the trajectory comparison at 600 yards between the 338 and the 270wsm? Just curious.

Those things will be ideal at 270 Win speeds I reckon ie 2900 to 3000fps.

They obviously made them a bit softer than the stock AB because they are geared around impacting at lower speeds at long range. But even in this extreme high speed test they held up quite well and would definitely devastate any deer, goat or pig.

Now we just need someone to put together some reduced loads about 2500fps to see what they're like at ranges where our game will be found.

Great report as usual SJB.

- Bob

Some trailboss powder might also make interesting fodder for low speed impact simulation.
I'm kinda wondering how the 168 ablr might perform out of my 7-30 waters pistol.
Should be able to launch around 2000 fps...could be fun stuff.

I would not be afraid to take my 270win after Elk as I have shot a number of Elk with my 270win using 130gr ABs & Pts as well. I really believe the new 150gr. will really shine out past 200yards.
I hope to be able to test them on cow Moose later this fall. You never know I might load some up for my CDL and take a crack or 2 at a Elk this year.
However I may have my 280 AI in place and I think with those 168gr ABLRs are going to be just what the good Doctor ordered for most game here in Sk.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, I am thinking you'll like those 168's in the Ackley. They will have a decent amount of mass, yet still open up pretty quick on deer and smaller animals.

Back