Sierra pro hunter 110gr bullet recovery

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I loaded up some light 270 win loads for my buddy's daughter. She has a light, short barreled 270, and didn't want to beat her up to bad.

I settled on the 110gr pro hunter from sierra with a mid range load for 2730fps. It shoots very well and is about all she could handle recoil wise.

She shot a caribou bull at 30-40 yards. Quartering away, perfect double lung shot. Bull dropped at the shot, DRT. Bullet recovered against hide on off side ribcage. Approximately 40-50 percent wieght retention.

Live weight on caribou was 300-320. Pretty decent performance. I'd bet this would be a good bullet for cartridges like the 6.8 spc for whitetail.

jugy9evu.jpg

Not too bad for a varmint bullet. Congrats. I loaded up 120 BTS at 2700 fps from my daughter's 7mm-08 for her Wyoming antelope hunt.

Very nice. Sounds like it worked perfect. Any pictures of the bullet?

That young lady smiling is just awesome though. Great work.

This was the bullet that Sierra recommended for a buddy of mine for deer out of his 16" ar in 6.8 spc. According to them it was a good medium game bullet if velocities were kept below 2800 fps and above 1300fps. That's a lot of the reason It was picked for her light load.

I figure impact velosity was around 2600fps, and that with this load at 200 yards would be around 2000fps. Starting out with too stiff a bullet didn't seem like a good idea. The bullet performed exactly like expected.

Was talking to another friend who's niece has used this bullet loaded down around 2500fps on 5 Ok whitetails, all DRT

Excellent.

BTW - the photos you're posting of this hunt are great. I showed them to my wife and she was beaming about the smile on the young hunter's face.

No gore. Just a good photo of the caribou, rifle, and hunter all set in that incredible Alaskan scenery. It really doesn't get much better.

Regards, Guy

Congrats to her on the caribou and like the others said that is a great picture. I read some very good reviews on the 110 gr Sierra to bad they are hard to find in this country it looks to be an economical and accurate bullet that performs quite well. Nice to see the nice caribou you guys have been getting so far this year.

She was a real trooper, 5 days, 60+ miles on wheelers, lots of leg and glass time. Raining to some degree the whole time. Just about need to sprout gills this time of year

Nicely done. Congratulations to the young lady, she did a great job.

JD338

Great bullet performance.

I have been using Sierra 90g HPs in the 270 when taking people out who are non hunters to reduce the recoil they feel. They work well on goats and pigs of average size. I am thinking this little 110g Pro Hunter would be an even better option, loaded down with something like H4895. It would be a better option on larger pigs for sure.

Great picture.

Any comment from the caribou? Nah, I didn't think so. I'd say the bullet performed quite well. It assuredly made one young lady happy, and you have photographic proof! :mrgreen:

I loaded up a very similar combo for my buddy's son . His first year of hunting with a 270 I loaded the 110 PH over a starting load of IMR4350. It grouped really well, we were also surprised by the size of the divets left in the 100 yrd gong when he was practicing. Best of all that load just flattens deer. What started off as a search for a milder recoiling load turned out to be just an all around good hunting load .

A sierra pro hunter is NOT a boat tail. What gives?

Fotis, good eye. I read the string, scanned the pictures and was 'asleep' at the wheel til I seen your post!

Back