130 Grain Ballistic Tip vs. Coyote

Palouser

Handloader
Jan 20, 2012
I just worked up a new load for my 270, 61 Grains of H4831SC and 130 grain Ballistic Tips and have been itching to use them prior to hunting season. I have taken 3 coyotes with them in the past week and all the pics are pretty much too graphic to post. Huge exit holes and one it blew the whole lower portion of the chest off. Needless to say, there is very little tracking needed. Can't wait to try them on deer this fall!

Sounds good. Kind of like some of the coyotes I've hit with the .25-06 rifle... Ugh. Not saving those pelts for the most part...

It ought to work real well on deer too. Be careful not to shred the good meat!

Guy

It is a little different than shooting them with my 243 and 55 Grain Ballistic Tip Varmint where you pretty much have to skin them out to find the entry wound and most of the time there is no exit. Trying to build confidence with this new rifle/load before hunting season and its working.

High stepping bullets tend to do major damage on yodel dogs. However, some larger bullets can mess 'em up quite badly. I hit a coyote with a 175 grain TBBC on one occasion. It removed both front legs and the bottom of the chest. On the other hand, I drifted one that trotted past me at about five yards with a 250 grain Kodiak FN from my 356. That beast covered about twenty yards before he expired. He sprayed blood about three feet high for the first fifteen yards of that run. I can only imagine that the 130 grain BT from the 270 did a wicked job on those coyotes.

pisc1024":36jhuksa said:
I have always been impressed when I hit animals with the 270.

And I daresay that the animals were impressed. :grin:

DrMike":ltkkq31l said:
pisc1024":ltkkq31l said:
DrMike":ltkkq31l said:
pisc1024":ltkkq31l said:
I have always been impressed when I hit animals with the 270.

You could say that again!

Danged kids on here! Those whipper snappers are running amuck of the place! :lol:

SJB358":tb90m4n1 said:
Danged kids on here! Those whipper snappers are running amuck of the place! :lol:

There's a lot of that going around, for sure.

DrMike":q2gqu7x0 said:
SJB358":q2gqu7x0 said:

There's a lot of that going around, for sure.
Boy if these two aren't the kettle calling the pot black I don't know. :lol:

Back