Old school 150 gr. Ballistic Tip

Silentstalker

Handloader
Jun 2, 2011
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414808851.940509.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414808866.292573.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414808880.976207.jpgBorrowed a chronograph today and went out checking velocities in a few of my rifles. While I was at it I threw in 6 random water bottles to try to catch an "old" style 150 gr. BT. The shot was 25 yards with my 270 Win.

First two bottles were thick orange juice bottles, then a 2 liter bottle, then an RV antifreeze jug followed by 2 milk jugs. My hope was that I would catch the slug in one of the milk jugs.

Well, with an average velocity of 2870 fps, the bullet destroyed the first 4 jugs and punctured the 5th leaving it dented and leaking from about a 1/2" crack. I could not find the slug anywhere. My theory is that it bounced back off the milk jug and got lost in the water, mud and rock. The third picture is of the last exit hole on the RV jug.

I will try it again in a few weeks with all similar milk jugs. Hopefully I can catch an old style and a new style to compare them.

Lol. We don't drink much milk around here. Might have to borrow a few jugs from the neighbors!!

That 150 BT is as tough as any cup and core I've run across. It's super in my 270 WSM.

I might have to run another into the jugs, just for comparison.

Great test. Hope you can grab one.

If ya catch one post it up! I will try again in a few weeks. Hope this time is the charm!

I used the 150g BT and the 150g SST on a number of pigs.

The 150g NBT is a tougher bullet believe me. More pass-throughs.

Both good bullets and here at least, the SST is much cheaper. But the NBT is better when more penetration is desired.

Glad to hear that bobnob. My Dad and Brother shoot the 150 gr. SST and killed everything from elk to antelope with them. The Antelope have massive shock and destruction. More than I prefer. They performed very well on elk through the ribs.

Im glad to hear of your experience with the BT as they match mine as well. Good hearty accurate bullet! Buying them as seconds in bulk helps narrow the cost difference.

Today I got back out shooting. I was able to capture a 150 gr. NBT. This is an old version, a non Big Game BT. I will try to capture a modern BT next time out. I shot through a 2 liter in front of 4 milk jugs at 25 yds. The remains of the bullet were found in the last milk jug. It had shed all of its lead. There were small pieces of lead in the last and second to last jug. I did not catch these as they were very small. The remains weighed in at 57 gr. Here are a few pics.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417224813.246223.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1417224827.163456.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1417224841.659911.jpg

Great catch and 4 jugs is a super deer bullet.

What was your muzzle velocity?.

Yeah I think it's a fantastic deer/antelope bullet. Also I developed this load without a Chronograph. I just recently borrowed one and Im shooting 2870 fps on average. Oh and it actually went through 4 including the 2 liter jug and was stuck in the 5th. Very cool to see such great performance.

My belief is that between the BT and my PT load I am pretty well set with this rifle.

I am shooting Win brass, WLR primers, 57 gr. H4831, 3.333

It's shooting pretty consistent for me.

SS, Thank you for your load info. I am loading Norma brass, WLR primers, 57 gr. IMR7828ssc, with a .050" jump (not sure the actual length). I am getting around 2900 fps depending on the temperatures. Less in lower temperatures and more in higher temperatures. Accuracy is very good. The velocities are not as consistent as I like. Maybe I should try the H4831sc. What I loads I have tried doesn't come close to listed velocities yet.

I am hoping to do bullet test soon.

Dan are your speeds inconsistent over a day of shooting or different days? Just wondering as it seems different days conditions may be changing your speeds more so than the 7828. I've been working with 7828 quite a bit and it seems very good towards the top end of the load range.

Scotty, I would say more inconsistent over a single group. Out of a four shot group I have had two the same velocity, one within 20 fps, and then a fourth one 50 fps higher. However, the higher velocity one is not out of the group.

Typically, I get three shots touching or almost touching and a fourth shot within 3/4". When I get a chance I will post photos of recent groups and velocities. I have to use equipment at the office, and I haven't had a chance lately to break away and do it. I am so close I can taste it. However, my expectations may be unrealistic.

When I get three velocities so close and then a fourth one different, I am not sure if I am seeing a problem with the chrono or the load.

I do see differences between colder days and warmer days. But, I have had good luck using an ice bag to cool the barrel. It only takes a couple of minutes between shots.

I had some variance in my velocity too, but it shoots so well that for me I have decided its good for now. I will go back to it as I get more free time.

Sounds like your really close to a fantastic load!

Back