.270 Win 130 grain Partition vs doe ***GRAPHIC***

stalker07

Beginner
Jan 12, 2007
Took a doe this morning with my .270 Win. 130 grain Partition, 59 gr H4831. I was still hunting, heard her walking above a highwall and dropped to a knee. Sharply quartering toward me from 50 yards. Impacted shoulder bone on the way in, shattered it. Entrance into ribs was 3 inches wide. Destroyed the heart and lungs, liver, passed thru stomach and ended up somewhere in the intestines.

Attachments

• IMG_3230.JPG
    IMG_3230.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 2,358
Wow! What's the muzzle velocity of that load?

I take it that the doe dropped quickly...

Guy

Massive tissue destruction. Had to have dropped pretty quickly. Congratulations on some fine table fare.

Book says 3124 on velocity but not sure on actual. It didnt run at all. Dropped and slid about 20 feet downhill. I keep trying to send the pic of whole deer but it says the file is too big.

I figured around 3100 fps - which makes it about like my .25-06 loads... Brisk!

Ya, at close range, some meat/tissue damage will result with such a high muzzle velocity, no doubt.

But you sure anchored that deer well! I just accept that there's going to be some destruction from my high velocity rifles.

Regards, Guy

Ill trade some meat damage for a quick, humane Kill. Normally woods hunting I carry my Marlin 336 .35 Rem butI was plannin to work my way around to an old strip mine that had been reclaimed. Shots there can be a stretch.

130 NPT is a wicked killer on deer of all sizes. Once i figured this out 30+ years ago it'a about all I have used.

Back