150gn Sierra Game King

Horsethief

Handloader
Jul 5, 2012
This was recovered from a large white tail buck shot at 135yds. The bullet hit a rib on the R side, then deflected to the left at about a 45 degree before stopping in front of the left rear leg, just under the hide. I worked up to a non-book load of 57gn of Superformance from a bolt action 280 Rem (24" barrel). I can't remember the bullet weight, but the buck took less than 10 steps before falling over dead.

Game Kings may not be thought of as great hunting bullets, but I don't think of them like that. The load I've worked up is sub MOA at 400 yards and does exactly what it should vs the deer.

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,712
Looks pretty good. I can see why that buck didn't go very far, that's a lot of expansion.

Nice. I like a fast-expanding bullet for deer.

The way that one opened up at 135 yards, I'd think it would also work real well at at considerably farther distances.

Congrats!

I worked with a fellow who uses that bullet in a Federal factory load for his 7mm Rem Mag, he has had no trouble bringing down his deer and meat damage isn't too bad either. Accurate too.

Game kings are hard to beat accuracy and lethality wise on unsuspecting whitetails.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I am a fan of the gamekings. Accuracy seems like it's easy to find with them. I also like quick expanding bullets for deer. Here in the hill country of NE Mississippi deer barely ever break 200 lb. All the cup and core bullets are very popular here. I'm pretty sure I'll move back to the gamekings again next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice expanding bullet, I will be using the 150 / 165 Gamekings soon for the .308 GAP. Should expand well for slow moving projectiles. Currently using the 168 Nosler Ballistic Tips and love them. I just need to get rid of the old bullets ( mostly Gamekings ) sitting on my shelves I bought 15 years ago. I don't want to be a hoarder. LOL

I started reloading with Gamekings a few decades ago and have taken quite a few PA whitetails with them. They were deadly but jacket/core separation was very common and I moved away from them and have never returned.
I moved up to Barnes X bullets which proved to be overly stout for whitetails and I continued my search for the perfect bullet.

For several years I shot Partitions while testing every popular bullet around. Fast forward to 2016 and I have become a die-hard AccuBond fan. While I still love to try every newly released bullet that hits the market, I keep coming back to the Accubonds.

For the really big stuff I still like the confidence a Partition bullets gives me but the 160gr AccuBond has been unbelievably efficient at dropping everything I hit with it up to 550 lbs.

Charlie-NY":1mo9nesg said:
I started reloading with Gamekings a few decades ago and have taken quite a few PA whitetails with them. They were deadly but jacket/core separation was very common and I moved away from them and have never returned.
I moved up to Barnes X bullets which proved to be overly stout for whitetails and I continued my search for the perfect bullet.

For several years I shot Partitions while testing every popular bullet around. Fast forward to 2016 and I have become a die-hard AccuBond fan. While I still love to try every newly released bullet that hits the market, I keep coming back to the Accubonds.

For the really big stuff I still like the confidence a Partition bullets gives me but the 160gr AccuBond has been unbelievably efficient at dropping everything I hit with it up to 550 lbs.

I'm in about the same boat. I'm pretty evenly split between the Accubonds and Partitions and BBCs for the calibers I have them in.

The SGK has always worked well for me, whether at 15 yards or 475 yards.

I too am a big fan of the AB, but would not hesitate to hunt any north american or European big game, not to mention most of Africa's big game with the SGK.

The SGK has always worked well for me, whether at 15 yards or 475 yards.

I too am a big fan of the AB, but would not hesitate to hunt any north american or European big game, not to mention most of Africa's big game with the SGK.

Back