175 PT 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum 3100 FPS

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Working on the 175 PT from the 7mm MSM.. This bullet was the penetration king for the day. Recovered this one from the bottom of the 7th jug. It is really that bullet that'll go deep if needed.

This is the first PT that I haven't seen buckle at the shank when pushed over 3000.. I can see why there is a strong following on this bullet..

Seven jugs! That could account for why I never recovered one. This was one of the two "go to" bullets in my 7 RM for many years. The other was the 175 grain TBBC, and I recovered one that drifted a huge black bear boar at 125 yards The bullet shattered his spine, passing through a lot of muscle and a shoulder before lodging under the hide on the off side. I've not recovered a 175 grain Partition yet.

I can see why Mike.

I think at under 2900 it would have looked better but that still a lot of killing...

Those TBBCs are some awesome bullets as well.

It is a tough pill, that is for sure. It looks like it is just starting to buckle at the base, but it is easy to look at the front end and see how hard the water is on those bullets. Always amazes me how tough water is on them..

Man it's awesome 2880 outta my 280AI looks the same. Identical in fact one pedal wider than 3 7 jugs I don't think mine lost the core though.

That load would stop most anything.
Good show Scotty.

JD338

im pretty impressed that your getting 3100 out of your 7mm mashburn. Mine only wants to throw 150s at between 3180 and 3240. Best loads are 7828 and 150 grain ballistic tips and norma mrp with 150 grain scirrocos. Both use federal primers and cases.

You know, If Nosler would load this bullet for their "28 Nosler" It would sell like Hot-Cakes'
Every bullet doesn't need to be all trendy. Just make a set-up that works. That bullet will dig deep and kill better than it should. It always worked great for me in a 7mm Rem. Mag. If I were to build a 28 Nosler, the 175 grain Partition would be my first bullet to try, and most likely my last.

Have a good day.

Well, it is certainly possible to handload the 175 grain PT. It has been a staple for my 7mm RM for many years. Still a great bullet in that rifle. Anything that moves faster than this one would ensure that the 175 would work exceptionally well.

Thats amazing penetration, and 3100 puts it right in there in the same class as the 300 mags, with a 180. How is the accuracy? I am sure good enough for big game hunting!

That's the bullet I used to take a nice 6x6 bull, years ago. Used my 7mm Rem mag, and loaded it to over 2900 fps via H870.

Complete penetration, and a rather dead elk pretty quickly. He only walked a few faltering steps after being hit.

It and the 175 gr Sierra SPBT were both accurate, the Sierra proved a little more accurate from my rifle, but I wanted that famous heavy-Partition penetration.

Guy

I use H870 with my 175 grain Partitions. I'm reserving the last of that powder for a few special cartridges, including this one in the 7RM.

Back