160 Accubond at 1,750 fps impact velocity

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
28 grains of H4895 in Nosler brass lit by a CCI BR2...I loaded, fired, chrono'd, and caught two 160 grain Accubonds.

I averaged the muzzle velocity and calculated the impact velocity, at 20 feet....1,760 fps muzzle velocity, measured with a MagnetoSpeed.

1,750 fps impact velocity estimated using JBM Ballistics.

Test 1
The bullet hit the middle of the jugs but penetrated at a downward angle, it hit the ground in jug #4, pics to follow a bit later.

Test 2
The bullet hit the center of the jugs, penetrated at a very slight upward angle and was caught...barely...in jug #7.

Both bullets expanded in a very similar fashion, and neither tumbled...judging by the holes in the jugs, the big 7mm AccuBond is stable at 1,760 fps with a 1 in 9.5" twist (SG 1.33)

I intentionally went below 1,800 fps because I wanted to know if there was any margin for error...and I did 2 tests because we all know bullets don't always behave the same way twice....these did.

Good pics will be forthcoming...gonna use my wifes new camera.

Test done with a Ruger American 7mm-08 with an 18" barrel.

Cool can not wait for pictures!

Love to see a GMX or a e-tip or any monometal in a similar test ...... Still do not trust them

The one on the left is the one that hit the ground in jug #4, it expanded slightly more than the other one...they expanded to .476" and .412" and retained 132 and 146 grains.

I believe these bullets would expand on any decent shoulder impact at the stated velocity (1,750 fps)

Nice work Lyn!
The 7mm 160 gr AB is quite the bullet.

JD338

FOTIS":1vpuswha said:
Cool can not wait for pictures!

Love to see a GMX or a e-tip or any monometal in a similar test ...... Still do not trust them

The tipped bullets will likely expand some, probably very similar to the Accubonds above.

Interesting test and informative.

I'm thinking that they should do even better when fired in full house loads at magnum velocities at actual distance, since rotational velocities will be much higher; something that is always missing from these reduced load/close range tests.

This might not only improve expansion, but also aid in straight line penetration as well.

BF375":1jzycikm said:

I'm thinking that they should do even better when fired in full house loads at magnum velocities at actual distance, since rotational velocities will be much higher; something that is always missing from these reduced load/close range tests.

This might not only improve expansion, but also aid in straight line penetration as well.

Correct on all counts...

BF375":2j7itxrn said:

I think I'm going to try it some this summer. 5 gallon pails filled water might make decent media to use.

Fun test. I shoot that bullet in a little CVA single shot break action Scout rifle. It's a 7-08 and unless I slow them down to a MV of 2330fps the gun shoots terrible vertical groups. The load Mimics 3030 chamber pressures and it keeps the casing from backing out and pushing on the frame at ignition causing the bullets to flip up and down. I limit on game shots to 200 yards so it looks like the bullet should work just fine.... unfortunately I've never put one into an animal!
Once I found the magic Load i shot 10 shots at 200 yards and was able to cover them all up with a dollar bill folded in half..... and I purposely held the gun with varying pressure on the sand bags to mimic different aspects of shooting quickly.... so I'll be out of excuses if I miss!

That's really impressive. I'm not sure where 1750 is from the MSM started at 3200 but I guarantee its further than I plan on pressing the trigger.

SJB358":1blih85p said:
That's really impressive. I'm not sure where 1750 is from the MSM started at 3200 but I guarantee its further than I plan on pressing the trigger.
About 880 yards...

SJB358":2je3vzlq said:

From my 280AI, the 160 gr AB with a 2990 fps MV is going 1756 fps at 775 yards.

JD338

Back