Hornady 154 IB

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
Hornady 154 IB , quickload 2075 FPS , in the jug that would be 26" - 30 " of penetration , .608 DIA , 145.22 retained weight . nice expansion at this speed .

That looks great to me. I'd be plenty happy with that sort of expansion. Started at 3250 or so it is WAY further than I'd ever be shooting at an animal.

Scotty , I'm impressed with these bullets . to get this expansion at 2075 FPS I'm in awe . I think I need to get these bullets out hunting again .

jimbires":o3asp9v2 said:
Scotty , I'm impressed with these bullets . to get this expansion at 2075 FPS I'm in awe . I think I need to get these bullets out hunting again .

I hear you Jim. Those are great Bullets

The Hornady site shows them as temporarily suspended. I called Hornady last year and asked if they were ever going to bring back the IB and they said they intended to but didn't know when.
I was shooting them in my .308 and I really liked the results on deer and hogs but I never recovered a bullet.

I think I remember now , Hornady said something like after things calm down they will start to make the entire line again . but while things are crazy busy they will try to keep up with only the high demand bullets .

Good news, Hornady has the 165 gr. .308 Interbond on the website. Hopefully the 150 grain is coming soon. Not sure about the 154 7mm as I forgot to look.
Let me say something about the Interbond. When I bought my Tikka .308 back in 2007 it was the middle of deer season so I bought a couple of boxes of 150 IB's to try out. When they came out with the Superformance 150 IB's I bought 3 boxes. For some reason I just never bought any dies and this is the only rifle I own that I don't handload for.
I never seriously did a accuracy test but they would always shoot inside the 1" box on the sight in targets.
I put a 3X9 Zeiss Conquest on the rifle which made it my go to rifle for all my woods hunting.
I have shot hogs and deer but I never count them. I have been shooting these 3 boxes for several years now. I have never recovered a bullet. I have never had a shot animal go 50 yards.
I started the season with 7 rounds of Superformance 150 gr. I now have 3. I've also shot 2 deer this season so far. One I hit too far back and the bullet quartered the deer and exited the off shoulder.
I don't care if I take a shot at a big shielded boar at 10 yards or 100, I completely trust the performance of this bullet.
I'm shooting 150 BT's out of my 7mag but when I can get some I want to do full load testing with both the 139 and 154 gr. IB's.
I have read that some don't get good accuracy out of IB's so I'm anxious to find out.
If no IB's are available I will try the 150 AB's and expect similar performance.

I'd like to try some IB's as well DH. The 130's were wicked in my 270
WSM...

The recovered bullets seem to always look good, this one opened nicely at low velocity. I wouldn't mind trying the 129 gr 6.5mm and 150 gr .277.

gerry":14479klu said:
The recovered bullets seem to always look good, this one opened nicely at low velocity. I wouldn't mind trying the 129 gr 6.5mm and 150 gr .277.

140grain Accubonds are Killers with a 2950fps mv.

hseII":3ekncf31 said:
gerry":3ekncf31 said:

140grain Accubonds are Killers with a 2950fps mv.

We actually have both the 6.5 and .277 version of that bullet here, eventually I'll try them in the 270 Win, the 264 WM shot them well.

Still want to try the Interbond since I have no personal experience with them.

I loaded the 162gr. for years in my Buddy's 7mm mag and they knocked down everything he ever hit :wink:.
The 160gr Accubonds are really sweet in the 284 cal and I am going to be trying the 150gr. Onyx that Cheyenne so graciously supplied me for the 270 win. I have changed a little as I really think they will be a game stopper in my Son's 270wsm.
There sure are a lot of superb rifle bullets being produced now a days (y) just need the time to play with them all.

Blessings,
Dan

Another great bullet with proven performance that still come " hundred in tha bag".......
E

Back