7mm Rem Mag Swift 150 grain Scirocco

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Here is a recovery from a bull elk shot at 450-475 yards. Pretty good sized bull.

Load was started at 2950 from a 7mm Rem Mag. Shoots incredibly out of his rifle, just a little slower than a typical 7mm Rem Mag.

Anyhow, here is the bullet..

It retained 143 grains and expanded very nicely in my opinion.

Here is a cow elk with the same bullet.

This bullet hit behind the opposite front leg and came out at the rear of the rib cage. Left about a 2-3" exit in the ribs. Shot was in the 150-175 yard range. Decimating bullet in my opinion.

I've always had good success with the Scirocco, especially the 150 grain .284 bullet. That bullet performed perfectly.

Tough the beat the Scirocco, I just wish they made a 150 gr 277.

Possibly more impressive is the penetration and exit on the cow elk at more moderate distance.

Ample evidence that bullets that expand with larger frontal area certainly penetrate more than they need to,even if not as far as a mono. Looks to me like it penetrated more than enough.

I know the rifle and load since I helped work up the load and shot the rifle; 70 gr RL25-150 SS II. It does shoot well in that rifle.

Yup, I'd not hesitate to use the Scirocco in most anything I own. I was very impressed with its killing ability.

gerry":2wyibfhy said:
Tough the beat the Scirocco, I just wish they made a 150 gr 277.

Scotty, great post. I may have to try these in my sons 7mm mag.

A 150g would be cool for the 270 wsm.

I'd be A-Ok with running the 130's in my 270 WSM. I'm betting they'd handle the speed fine and man, they'd be a laser...

SJB358":1677uaou said:
I'd be A-Ok with running the 130's in my 270 WSM. I'm betting they'd handle the speed fine and man, they'd be a laser...

Might have to try some once I get my 270 wsm dialed in.

SJB358":31s17z75 said:

I would agree, I just like heavier bullets in the smaller calibers. In reality there probably wouldn't be a lot of difference between 130's and 150's.

Given the velocity of a 7 RM, it would definitely punch through the shoulder of the larger ungulates of NA.

DrMike":164b4x6d said:
Given the velocity of a 7 RM, it would definitely punch through the shoulder of the larger ungulates of NA.

I’d use it without a worry.

Just to chime in with my scirocco experience, I had a frontal shot on a cow elk at a little over 300 yards a long time ago. The 130 grain from the 270 win I was shooting entered the neck and traveled almost the entire length of the spine before coming to rest. It killed her stone dead and impressed the hell out of me traveling through all that bone. I think that had the shot been broadside or quartering to that it would have penetrated the shoulders and kept on going.
V/R,
Joe

Back