7mm Mashburn Super 175 grain Bitterroot Bonded Core

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I recovered this bullet in the offside hide of the cow I took this Fall. Shot was 145 yards on the nose and I put the bullet tight behind the near leg about 1/2 way up the body. It was "IN" the skin on the far side. Upon looking the bullet had dug itself into the skin and sorta looked like a big pimple. I nicked it with my knife and popped it out.

It was the fastest kill on a pure lung shot elk I have witnessed. Coming off recoil she was DOWN. Very cool to see that and after recovering the bullet I understand why. It left a soupy mess in the chest and with nearly .9" expansion if must have been similar to a boat prop running through the animal.

Retained 143 grains..

Off side hole under the hide..

This bullet chrono'ed at 3020 out of my rifle. Needless to say, I am glad I have a bunch more of them.

Heck of an expansion and weight retention. Great performance. Pity they are not produced today.

Excellent Scotty. The most weight loss I have seen from BBC, but very good nonetheless.

Maybe Bill got a bad bond on that one somehow..... :)

That hole through vitals is more on par with what you'd see from most 338 bullets. You're right in pointing out that a DRT kill on a elk with a pure lung shot is hard to do.

BBC is a wicked killer.

It sure opened wide, I can imagine it opened up a good sized wound channel.

Bullets like that 175 BBC change the ball game,and nudge you up a step or so in caliber and bullet weight.

I have been watching this level of on game performance from the BBC since the 1980's; they have consistently performed in this fashion and from a killing standpoint take a back seat to nothing else out there that I am aware of.

Only drawback is they are not high BC(they actually shoot along with a Nosler Partition).......
:grin:

Not sure I care.

I have been pretty lucky to lay into a decent amount of them for a few different calibers and you all have probably seen the pictures of others I've put up. As BF375 said, they shoot side by side with Nosler Partitions in my rifles. My MO for load work consists of developing an accurate Partition load and then I shoot it at 250-300 yards. I will shoot 1 or 2 BBCs to confirm it lands in the same group.

While hunting I usually load a BBC in the snout and Partitions in the mag. Sample of one so far but it works so far.

Back