.284 154 grain Hornady Interbond 3190FPS

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I am doing a ladder test for velocity for my 7mm Mashburn. Well, I figured I might as well run one of them into the jugs. This bullet was shot into the jugs from 25 yards. It was recovered in the 5th jug. It hit the rear of the jug hard enough to tear it but it bounced back.

I'm pretty danged impressed with the bonding on this Bullet. 3200 FPS at point blank range is tough on stuff. It maintained a fairly large frontal area and penetrated real well. I'm looking forward to seeing how it shoots, accuracy wise.

Looks to have held up quite well, they seem to be similar to the Scirocco in that they open wide.

Dang, that is nice expansion from 25 yards. I rarely see bullets hold up that well from that distance except AccuBond, ETips and Barnes. Excellent cup and core bullet. That is what I like on my list soon.

Keep us posted on the accuracy with those bullets.

Sorry I goofed on last edit. :oops:

TackDriver284":qi9d0z9p said:
Dang, that is nice expansion from 25 yards. I rarely see bullets hold up that well from that distance except AccuBond, ETips and Barnes. Excellent cup and core bullet. That is what I like on my list soon.

It looks pretty good. I think Hornady did a great job with the bonding. I don't see any bare jacket and I bet it'd be even wider if speed dropped off a bit.

SJB358":1fd0spdk said:
TackDriver284":1fd0spdk said:

It looks pretty good. I think Hornady did a great job with the bonding. I don't see any bare jacket and I bet it'd be even wider if speed dropped off a bit.

I have some of those .30 cal SPBT 180 grain Interlocks with the cannelure, do you think they perform about the same?

I've been favourably impressed with the terminal performance for the InterBond. I have not had exceptional accuracy out of them in most of the cartridges in which they were tried. I found that unusual, as the Interlock and the SST have both given fine accuracy in a wide variety of cartridges.

Very interested in your ladder test. Please post results;

Unfortunately, I have never been able to get those Interbonds to shoot accurately

pretty darned nice . your bullet is about a twin to mine , and yours is about 100 FPS faster . I just can't see a down side to a 3/4" hole that can penetrate about 2 feet .

TackDriver284":34i1tqz5 said:
SJB358":34i1tqz5 said:
TackDriver284":34i1tqz5 said:

I have some of those .30 cal SPBT 180 grain Interlocks with the cannelure, do you think they perform about the same?

Interlocks are great bullets but I don't think they would have held up like that at 25 yards. The Interbonds are basically a bonded SST sort of the same as a BT vs an AccuBond.

DrMike":34i1tqz5 said:
I've been favourably impressed with the terminal performance for the InterBond. I have not had exceptional accuracy out of them in most of the cartridges in which they were tried. I found that unusual, as the Interlock and the SST have both given fine accuracy in a wide variety of cartridges.

I had good results with the 130 in my 270 WSM and not so good with the 165's in my old 300. I think if I can go about loading them the same way I've learned for the other bonded bullets I might be able to make them work.

Fotis I will for sure post up my results as I start getting further along.

Jim, I am very impressed with them honestly. I like to see that sorta expansion and to keep it with so much speed seems even better.

Well, I guess that puts to bed the internet chatter that Interbonds over-expand and roll into a small ball. Or they vaporize upon impact at high speed. Pretty danged impressive..I've had real good luck getting them to be accurate in my 280 and 308..But the 280 seemed to favor the 154 gr over the 139 grain for accuracy.

My .308, is my under 100 yards main deer rifle and for several years all I've shot has been Superformance 150 grain Interbonds. Most shots are under 50 yards. The interbond is just a real killer. Puts hogs and deer down fast and I've never recovered a bullet.
Luckily I bought several boxes when they were still available. I now have 4 cartridges left. Last time I checked Hornady had not yet started manufacturing the 150's again.
I have never done any real accuracy testing with these bullets but when sighting in it always puts 2 or 3 into the 1" blocks on a sight in target at 100 yards. At the distance I'm hunting with them the accuracy is plenty good.
I did intend to do some load development with my 7MM and .300 WM but hornady decided to stop making the interbond for several years.

They are shooting real well for me. Running about 3245 Avg and so far out to 400 they are accurate. They like being seated deep though.

FOTIS":jhkahtq4 said:
Very interested in your ladder test. Please post results;

Unfortunately, I have never been able to get those Interbonds to shoot accurately

Dad and I both had rifles that used to shoot the Hornady 7mm Wby factory ammo very well, and that has the 154 IB loaded in it. Suddenly that stopped, and both shoot pie-plate sized groups with that ammo at 200 yards. It's the strangest thing I ever saw. Tried cleaning, not cleaning, swapping scopes, you name it. Nothing worked.

However, when it shot well, Dad took an antelope at 516 yards followed by one at 812.
I took my first elk - at 31 yards.

I have a couple of boxes of the 154 IB here to load for Dad's rifle someday, under the assumption that I can probably get it to shoot well with handloads.

It’s a good Bullet. Pretty consistent as far as I can tell. When they start wearing you out, run them deep. They were an entirely different bullet once I did that.

I bought a box of .300 WM Superformance with the 165 Interbond. My .300 is a Browning Stainless Stalker W/BOSS and this rifle had been tuned to shoot my handloads with the Hornady 165 gr. Interlocks consistently under 1/2", so I expected similar results as the bullet weight was the same. Not so, 4 to 5" groups at 100 yards.
I only shot 10 and decided to do some case prep and load those 10 cases to see how I liked Hornady brass. Part of my prep is to chamfer the inside of the flash channel but found it almost impossible. There was a huge amount of brass real ragged punched through the flash channel on the inside. Worse it was hard and it took a lot of effort to remove and I used several tools. Finally got it cut flat with a 4 flute endmill in my drill press. After a few I quit on it.
I strive for consistency in all my loading and can only imagine how this affected accuracy. I wasn't impressed with Hornady at that moment.

Back