180 ELD-M

thatguySHM

Beginner
Feb 11, 2017
So these are Midway seconds, but they are the ELD-M'S. Shot from a 7mm Rem Mag at 100 yards.

The top was two jugs, bounced off the cardboard box and caused some damage to the box but didn't stick in the first magazine I had in the box.

The bottom was shot through three jugs, lead dust in the final jug, third milk jug was popped open but not destroyed like the first two.

This bullet dumped energy fast, would scramble a deers internals but not exit. Muzzle velocity was 2925. Little disappointed with it but I have two boxes of ABLR 175s to work up now for hunting season. It's that or try to get my Scirocco's to shoot. Haven't had any luck with that yet...
84120828cc7c4b7456af63118bfdfcdf.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ELD-M is definitely off my list for hunting. For deer season this year I was leaning to experiment it with the .308 with 178 grain ELD-M pushing at 2,650 fps but aren't sure if I should. What say you?

Thanks for posting.

I was thinking the 180 would do fine in a Mauser or a -08, but velocity limitation has to be the key. If I was shooting cross canyon I'd use this without question. It may be worth it to try again at 300 yards. I'm going to stuff the same load under a 175 ELD-X and ABLR and see what happens. Went through my stash of milk jugs today. Luckily my wife's family has a bottle return in one of their stores, gonna have to see what's kicking around there.

Guys, who cares? To me, this bullet's job ENDS once it exits the paper target you're shooting.

FOTIS":1h858pko said:
Guys, who cares? To me, this bullet's job ENDS once it exits the paper target you're shooting.

The ELD-M is based on the AMax bullet. AMax bullets have been great bullets for deer. High velocity is the issue on bullet disintegration, so low speeds is the key. I don't shoot into the shoulders, only behind the crease of the shoulder and I avoid heavy bone. Lung shots have put a lot of deer down in my experience with a variety of cup and core bullets I have used. It may be a bit frangible, but like I mentioned slow speeds is key like a .308 when it comes to the A Max or the ELD-M performance on deer sized game.

I've got a box of ELD-X and two boxes of ABLR, all in 175 gr flavor. Got six boxes of 150gr Swift Scirocco II's and they shoot half MOA, so I never got to test the ABs.

How did the ELD-X perform for you? I have been interested in them, but have not got around to trying them yet. The 150gn ABLR shoots so well I havent felt the need to do so yet.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Just saw this bullet test. I bet they would be wicked on deer, especially on rib shots..

Hopefully, I'll be trying the 180 ELD-M on antelope this fall. I'm betting they hit the dirt FAST.

Reporting back on this. Between my buddy and I, we dropped 4 antelope with my 7mm rem mag. Shooting the 180 Eld-m at 3014fps avg. All exits, big exits, put your fist in the hole exits! No recovered bullets obviously, but I will vouch that they STOMP antelope. I have no doubts they would do the same in deer and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk either....behind the shoulder.

Cool deal. How long is your barrel? I am getting 3080 fps in a 26" 28 Nosler with proof research barrel. However I am not pushing them anywhere near maximum

I haven't shot the ELD-M'S in 7mm 162gr but I have shot the Amax version in a 7-300wm at 3265fps. Even at 530yds they didn't pentrate past the onside lung on a bull elk. I'd be careful using them on elk with any kind of magnum. I think I'd go to the 180's. BTW that bull never got back up but it didn't die and had to be shot again.

Back