7mm Rem Mag - 140 gr ACB question

ShamrockShooter

Beginner
Jan 21, 2018
New to the forum, sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot.

My 700 7mm Rem Mag loves 160 grain accubonds with a max charge of reloader 22. That is my go to elk load.

This year I am going to Wyoming for a trophy mule deer hunt with an option to add an antelope or cow elk tag.

My self imposed max range is 300 yds more or less. If I wound one that counts as my deer hunt is on private land...

My thought was to use the 140 AccuBond, as it will drop about 1 inch less at 300 yards than the 160 acb. My only reservation is the 140 might be a touch light for a 500 lb cow elk if the shot isn't perfect. And a 160 might be too much for an antelope buck.

So should I go with the 160 ACB and give up a little bit on trajectory, or go with the flatter 140 ACB, and have some doubt in the back of my mind about the cow elk shot?

If by chance the 140 and 160s shoot the same point of impact at 200 yds, then I might just switch ammo.

I could also just use the 140 for deer/goats, and bring my 300 win mag for cow elk.

So basically the question is, will the 140 AccuBond at 7 mag velocity be ok for cow elk? Everything I have read says yes with proper shot placement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

SJB358":1hx5tjcq said:
I’d stick with the 160 and go slay everything. That 160 AccuBond is about my favorite.
When you shoot the 160 ACBs and start covering your 300 yd groups with a dime. It certainly gives you confidence.

I think part of me just wants an excuse to spend all summer working up a 140 ACB load.
b541123f10390bcc24532218d1cc6980.jpg

ShamrockShooter":2rzza0ht said:
My thought was to use the 140 AccuBond, as it will drop about 1 inch less at 300 yards than the 160 acb. My only reservation is the 140 might be a touch light for a 500 lb cow elk if the shot isn't perfect. And a 160 might be too much for an antelope buck.

So should I go with the 160 ACB and give up a little bit on trajectory, or go with the flatter 140 ACB, and have some doubt in the back of my mind about the cow elk shot?

If by chance the 140 and 160s shoot the same point of impact at 200 yds, then I might just switch ammo.

I could also just use the 140 for deer/goats, and bring my 300 win mag for cow elk.

So basically the question is, will the 140 AccuBond at 7 mag velocity be ok for cow elk? Everything I have read says yes with proper shot placement.

There is really no such thing as "too much" bullet. Your 160 grain AB will suffice for about anything you hunt. One of my earliest rifles was a 7 RM. My "go to" load was a 175 grain TBBC. I can't recall any mule deer or white tails that were "too dead" or "overly dead" after being shot with that load. Later, I switched to the 175 grain Nosler PT. It mirrored my experience with the 175 grain TBBC. On the whole, Scott's advice about sticking with the 160 grain AB for everything is solid.

To ease your mind, the 140 grain AB will be more than adequate for a cow elk. Any excuse for working with a rifle is legitimate.

Sounds as if you are going to experience a great hunt. We'll all be pulling for you to score big on this hunt.

One bullet and one load for all of your uses. It makes life simple and reduces the chance for error, at the right moment. Like the others I like the AB a lot.

DrMike":1ss5o89s said:
ShamrockShooter":1ss5o89s said:

There is really no such thing as "too much" bullet. Your 160 grain AB will suffice for about anything you hunt. One of my earliest rifles was a 7 RM. My "go to" load was a 175 grain TBBC. I can't recall any mule deer or white tails that were "too dead" or "overly dead" after being shot with that load. Later, I switched to the 175 grain Nosler PT. It mirrored my experience with the 175 grain TBBC. On the whole, Scott's advice about sticking with the 160 grain AB for everything is solid.

To ease your mind, the 140 grain AB will be more than adequate for a cow elk. Any excuse for working with a rifle is legitimate.

Sounds as if you are going to experience a great hunt. We'll all be pulling for you to score big on this hunt.
I guess worrying about making an antelope too dead is a fools errand. I shot a nice whitetail buck with a juiced up 3006 with a 180 AccuBond that I had loaded as a backup rifle for elk hunts. I put it through the ribs right behind the shoulder at 100 yards. Didn't hit any shoulder or spine. The deer just dropped 3 feet dead no kicking. Never seen anything like it. Usually they run 20 yards or so. The shockwave must have killed him instantly. So a 7mm 160 ab on an antelope by the same standard should still expand well and not just poke a hole in him.

I also have 60 shells loaded for the 7mm with 160 ab already.... Thanks for all the advice.

ShamrockShooter":1tjaud5i said:
DrMike":1tjaud5i said:
ShamrockShooter":1tjaud5i said:

I guess worrying about making an antelope too dead is a fools errand. I shot a nice whitetail buck with a juiced up 3006 with a 180 AccuBond that I had loaded as a backup rifle for elk hunts. I put it through the ribs right behind the shoulder at 100 yards. Didn't hit any shoulder or spine. The deer just dropped 3 feet dead no kicking. Never seen anything like it. Usually they run 20 yards or so. The shockwave must have killed him instantly. So a 7mm 160 ab on an antelope by the same standard should still expand well and not just poke a hole in him.

I also have 60 shells loaded for the 7mm with 160 ab already.... Thanks for all the advice.

The 160 and 140 Accubonds are the same Bullets as far as I know. You’d get a little more speed with the 140, but with the accuracy you’re getting I’d just practice the heck out of the 160’s and be prepared to be happy. That 160 is as good as any bullet I know of in 7mm... very few animals I know of have walked away from a decently placed one. They expand pretty wide as well.

Really nice accuracy there, and that's a well-established powder charge & bullet weight for the 7mm Rem mag.

I'd just take that 160 gr ammo for the hunt!

But, if you just want to mess around with the 140's, that's fine too. They can really scoot out of a 7mm Rem mag. I sent some Remington factory 140's over a chronograph once out of curiosity... 3225 fps!

Guy

Well, the good news is, you're in a solid place with the 160's. They'll work just fine, Lopes to Bear to Moose.

The bad news is, you're in a solid place with the 160's. They'll work just fine, Lopes to Bear to Moose. But, there's No Fun in that !

Go ahead and play with the 140's. What have ya got to loose? Worst case scenario is you find another sweet load and also get in some good range time.

Add the 140 PT to the mix and I can't see a down side.........

Well I'm happy to report my 700 7 mag likes 140 AccuBond just as much as 160 Accubonds. I had 9 140s loaded up in 0.3 increments of reloader 22. Two of the three groups were basically a ragged hole. Man I love this gun. Out of the box 700 mag bdl, old style stiff trigger. This gun just makes me happy.

Next weekend I'll try a few more increments then move it back to 200 and 300 yards.

This load looks like a great mule deer setup.
72256693b3c09da5f14fb2804c6af3eb.jpg
b2e731440ffce77b131c108e6231e5f5.jpg

I'd go with the 160 get AB for everything and not look back.

JD338

Thanks. I just put a new scope on so I also need to see how the 140s and 160s hit for point of impact. If I get really lucky and they hit the same, I should be able to swap the 140s and 160s without adjusting the scope. But I think I might be pushing my luck there. 140s will be my deer load and 160s will be my elk load. Might as well sell all my other rifles and call it a day.

You are good to go with either bullet for all of the animals you may encounter or harvest on your trip. Shoot the one you are most confident with in your rifle!

I have taken antelope, deer and elk with my 7MM STW and 160 gr AB's and elk with my 280 Rem and 140 gr AB's, to give an example of both bullets you are contemplating in .284" from both faster and slower cartridges than the 7MM Rem Mag. They work just fine at ranges from 15 yards to 475.

Nice to see your rifle shooting so well!
Have a great hunt!

Blkram":2y235ekx said:
You are good to go with either bullet for all of the animals you may encounter or harvest on your trip. Shoot the one you are most confident with in your rifle!

I have taken antelope, deer and elk with my 7MM STW and 160 gr AB's and elk with my 280 Rem and 140 gr AB's, to give an example of both bullets you are contemplating in .284" from both faster and slower cartridges than the 7MM Rem Mag. They work just fine at ranges from 15 yards to 475.

Have a great hunt!

GREAT ENDORSEMENT! (y)

Ya, I think your loads, your rifle, the Nosler bullets are all obviously good to go. A good bullet, well placed, will do the job. I'd say your bench shooting work and load development is done. Build however much hunting ammo you want on hand, get some great practice from field positions & make sure you're in good condition for your hunt! You've done your load work very well, and you can obviously shoot a rifle well.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":18vnis42 said:
Blkram":18vnis42 said:

Have a great hunt!

GREAT ENDORSEMENT! (y)

Ya, I think your loads, your rifle, the Nosler bullets are all obviously good to go. A good bullet, well placed, will do the job. I'd say your bench shooting work and load development is done. Build however much hunting ammo you want on hand, get some great practice from field positions & make sure you're in good condition for your hunt! You've done your load work very well, and you can obviously shoot a rifle well.

Regards, Guy

Exactly. Nothing is going to stand around long with a 140 AccuBond in the good stuff. The 160 is a hammer but nothing one does the other one can’t. Good luck, get some good dope and hammer stuff.

Thanks everyone. As my father said "no excuses now". It won't be the gun's fault. His 270 rem 700 with 130 Accubonds printed a group at 200 yds you could cover with a quarter, so I guess he won't have an excuse on our hunt either.....

I have a Savage axis bolt .223 that I put my bipod on. I run the hills at camp till I get winded then drop to prone and practice hitting the 200 yds target. The light recoil makes practicing much more enjoyable.

Thanks for all the advice. Just returned from Wyoming. I went with the 140 AccuBond out of the 7 mag. Moving at about 3,175 fps, 66.6 gr reloader 22.

I shot my first mule deer buck ever at 125 yds, he went maybe 25 yds. Last night we got into a heard of 200 elk. I filled my cow tag at 175 yds. Quartering away shot well placed in lungs and out the far shoulder. She went maybe 75 yds. Both shots were complete pass through and made quite a mess. Needless to say the 140 did just fine on a 450 lb cow through a rib and a shoulder.

My dad also shot a nice 4x4 mule deer at 50 yds with a 130 AccuBond out of his 270. Same result. Dead deer, didn't go far.

I am going out again in 2 years for antelope and cow elk. I already have the 140 Accubonds loaded up. Maybe I will try the 6.5 Creedmoor next time.

Back