7mm Mashburn Super Mag 175 Bitterroot 3160 FPS

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I haven't ever put one of these into the jugs, two elk have already fallen to these a couple years back, so I guess I am testing backwards...

Anyhow, the main reason I shot them was to get a chrono speed on them. The Woodleighs with 83.8 of RL33 run about 3090'ish and these clocked 3160.. So, what I like to do is match them for speed and they typically land right on top of one another, at least that has been the case with Partitions in the past.

Here is the jug pile.

If you can see about 10-12ft up in the tree you can see a pretty good hunk of plastic in the limbs. Made me cackle a little.

You can see how these get shredded pretty seriously. Unless you have seen a bunch of them it is hard to size, but the BBC's and other wide expanding bullets from fast twists seem to obliterate the first few jugs most of the time. Wide expanding, large caliber TTSX's tend to be similar as well.

I found the bullet in the 5th jug.

The narrow side at .690"

Here is the widest point at .880"

Ended up around 167 grains retained.

Anyhow, here is what the same bullet looked like pulled out of a Wyoming elk a few years back. This started a little slower at 3030 and the impact was about 150 yards.

I never had the 175 grain BBC bullets to play with, but I did have 160 grain BBC bullets. They worked well in my 7 RM. Those bullets did shred those jugs! That is pretty impressive. Quite the impact, for sure. Excellent results that would give confidence to anyone who is able to lay hands on any of these.

Back