7Mag vs. Moose skull...

A

Anonymous

A buddy dropped by this evening with a moose he shot this afternoon.

The shot was close- 30 yards in brush- so MV was pretty much all of it. 7Mag, 150gr Corelokt, right into the side of the skull. No exit.

The moose obviously didn't shake it off, but the bullet came completely apart.

That is most interesting. The skull is thick, to be sure. However, I would have expected the CoreLokt to hold together better than you report.

Yes moose skulls are pretty tough on bullets but that one sure did the job well by the sounds of it.

You never can tell. A few years ago I shot a really big boar with my 7mm mag. I shot it just under and in front of the ear. I was sure it would shatter the skull but it didn't, just 2 clean holes, in and out.
Sure killed that old boar though.

Darkhorse":1vvtz3ra said:
You never can tell. A few years ago I shot a really big boar with my 7mm mag. I shot it just under and in front of the ear. I was sure it would shatter the skull but it didn't, just 2 clean holes, in and out.
Sure killed that old boar though.

Well, I should guess that it would kill him! Not much to force the bullet to expand, but it would definitely punch through the bone. Must have really dropped him, though.

Would have thought it would penetrate, but not surprised it came apart...penetration and bullet integrity benefit from lower impact velocity.

I usually don't go for head shots, but did a few times.
Once shot a fallow deer to the back of it's head with a bullet similar to the lehigh.
Wasn't much left of the upper head.
Got pictures, but I guess you can imagine

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Back