150gr LRAB for elk from 7x57maus

284allways

Beginner
Sep 11, 2017
I've been working on a 7x57 load for a buddy with 150 LR AB's and able to get 2,900 at the muzzle with no pressure indicators.

With the intention of being a 350 yard or less range for Elk do you guys think the bullet will perform well? If I go any heavier I will give up velocity and I am not sure thats a good idea given the range potential

This will be a late season - migration hunt with longer than normal shot potential.
I see the lower velocities of the 7x57 and a bullet that is designed for lower velocities as a good combination? Thoughts ?

I've worked up loads for a 7X57 with 150 grain PT. The man who owned that rifle managed to kill a moose every year. The PT worked just fine. I should imagine that the LRAB will work equally well. Before I worked up that gentleman's load, he had taken a good number of moose using 140 grain PT, and none of the moose ever walked away. Knowing where to put the pill was a big positive. No doubt that will hold true with the load you're working up.

I...Dunno. Are you sure your getting 2900fps? That seems pretty hot. May be a good idea to have someone on the forum run a QL on your load.

I'm sure the LRAB will work just fine. AB's are boringly consistent performers.

Ive run the load over my shooters chrony on 2 separate occasions. The load is Nosler book max with RL 19 and a Rem 700 classic 22" bbl. I was surprised, very surprised.
Bolt lift wasnt a problem, primers were identical to lower velocity loads, no change in appearance as I worked up from low to max. Accuracy was very good, 5/8's at 100 and consistent.
I'm going to shoot the loads in various temp ranges for consistency validation. Without a pressure barrel I'm at a loss for how to check - I see this as a gift horse at this point.

284allways":3p7snto0 said:
Ive run the load over my shooters chrony on 2 separate occasions. The load is Nosler book max with RL 19 and a Rem 700 classic 22" bbl. I was surprised, very surprised.
Bolt lift wasnt a problem, primers were identical to lower velocity loads, no change in appearance as I worked up from low to max. Accuracy was very good, 5/8's at 100 and consistent.
I'm going to shoot the loads in various temp ranges for consistency validation. Without a pressure barrel I'm at a loss for how to check - I see this as a gift horse at this point.

I'd be good with your load. I have a 22" 7x57 and use RL17 with it and 150's, both the Partition and Ballistic Tip's right at 2900 FPS. If you aren't seeing pressure, pockets are staying tight for multiple loads and that sorta accuracy is there, there isn't much more that needs to be done. Sounds like a great shooting combo.

I'd think that 150 ABLR would do well for you, since it is a fairly soft bullet you should get great expansion and adequate penetration. Good luck!

Gunner46":1vy93o64 said:
I...Dunno. Are you sure your getting 2900fps? That seems pretty hot. May be a good idea to have someone on the forum run a QL on your load.

I'm sure the LRAB will work just fine. AB's are boringly consistent performers.

I too have gotten the 150 gr. ABLR to 2900 FPS with no apparent pressure issues with Re17. The only thing I haven't gotten is accuracy. The same load with the Nosler Partition though is sub-MOA. Go figure. One thing is the ABLR has less bearing surface than the Partition not that that should affect accuracy. Funny thing about that bullet is it has been inaccurate in three 7x57 rifles and a .280 Remington. I had planned on using the ABLR on one of my elk hunts but am at least set up with the Partition. Thanks to my vehicle accident I'll have to wait another year to find out and probably another month before the doc will let me shoot anything that has even light recoil. :(
Paul B.

I use the 150 grain ABLR in one of my 280 Rem rifles. The bullet gives excellent accuracy and velocities well over 100 fps above what I was expecting. There are no pressure signs with this particular load and it is reproducible. The ABLR appears to have a shorter bearing surface which promotes somewhat higher velocities. Accuracy is problematic in almost all rifles I've tried the ABLR in, with the exception of this one particular rifle. My observation is when the ABLR works, it works very well. However, it can be a challenge to get that particular bullet to work.

DrMike":1pxfzwrn said:
I use the 150 grain ABLR in one of my 280 Rem rifles. The bullet gives excellent accuracy and velocities well over 100 fps above what I was expecting. There are no pressure signs with this particular load and it is reproducible. The ABLR appears to have a shorter bearing surface which promotes somewhat higher velocities. Accuracy is problematic in almost all rifles I've tried the ABLR in, with the exception of this one particular rifle. My observation is when the ABLR works, it works very well. However, it can be a challenge to get that particular bullet to work.

Mike is the only reason I keep trying the darned things. Everytime I am about to give up on them, I remember the results he had with them!

SJB358":1jtfwq3p said:
DrMike":1jtfwq3p said:

Mike is the only reason I keep trying the darned things. Everytime I am about to give up on them, I remember the results he had with them!

As I say, Scott, when the ABLR works, it works very well. Sure has put down the few head of game I've dropped with it (elk at 75 yards and mule deer at ~30 yards). Didn't really need the long range, but that was what presented itself. The elk charged at a bugle, covering over 750 yards before pulling up to reassess what he was challenging. The mule deer just stood there stupidly, as mule deer are prone to do.

I think the load you have would work great. My pick though would be to just go with the 140 gr. AccuBond. Especially if it shot as well or better. It's a bit tougher so IF he gets a close distance shot, it will likely hold together better and penetrate like you would want it too. Even at the slower velocities at the farther distances the 140 gr. AccuBond will also mushroom nicely at those slower speeds. I have shot the regular Accubonds into water jugs lined up from 25-500 yards and clear out there at 500 yards they expand and penetrate nicely. As many have stated the LRAB can be stubborn to get it to shoot well but you obviously have it figured out for this rifle at least. I just feel more comfortable with the regular AccuBond.

A 140 gr. AccuBond sure worked well for me on my grizzly bear last fall.

Back