Expensive Hunts

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
Elephant, Polar Bear, Marco Polo----some hunts have gotten crazy expensive, but if you was to break down and decide I want to do one of them, regardless of cost, which one would it be. Many of us, especially older members, through savings, equity in a home, whatever, could pay for one of these hunts, but we are cautious not to spend our nest egg or a part of it anyway. But if you did, which hunt would you choose ?

The younger members who are still raising a family have different dreams at this stage in their life, like helping their children through college, but even if you younger members happen to win the lottery and could afford one very expensive hunt, what would it be.?

April I think you left one out, Russian Brown Bear.
Though I probably wouldn't kill one if I could afford it the Elephant would be on the top of my list just because I want to experience hunting in Africa. Russian Brown Bear would be #2.

I lean toward the dangerous game hunts. It is hard to imagine a better hunt than those I have done for grizzly. African hunts that could be interesting to me would include elephant and/or lion. Cape buffalo might well be on my list as well. However, I must make sure that I anchor whatever I shoot as there isn't going to be any scurrying about after the shot! :shock:

Rodger, my husband and I was able to do the Russian bear and moose hunt, but it was years ago and from memory the entire hunt was just north of ten grand. Today the trophy fee on the bear is more than that. But that is a good choice, politics withstanding, as their animals are HUGE.

Dr Mike, excellent choice and point, my scurrying about after the shot days are long over.

Aleena'a great-grandfather was able to hunt Tiger and that has been her desire since as long as I have known her. They have ask a couple governments to notify them if they have a rogue tiger that needs to be put down, but to date, no luck

I've come to the realization that I'm most happy hunting in mountains. A dream hunt for me would be the New Zealand trifecta- tahr, chamois, and red stag.

I'd want to pull it off DIY style on public land as well.

Maybe not the dream hunt most folks have, but one day I'll make it happen.

Hodgeman, quite the contrary about it being a dream hunt. I have many people tell me how much they would want to hunt New Zealand. Excellent choice. We did not hunt DIY, nor did we hunt Chamois while there, as we had hunted them in Europe, but the Tahr hunt was fantastic and the Red Stag hunt was fun. New Zealand is beautiful and a good place in which to take your wife as well, as the accommodations are outstanding.

BTW Hodgeman, the Marco Polo is hunted in the mountains--just giving you a bad time lol

April my dream hunt would be for moose, sheep, wolf, and grizzly bear in either Canada or Alaska. Not sure which rifle I would take. It would either be my 30-06 or my .280 AI. If I could manage it somehow it would be nice to have a back-up rifle so I optimally would like to take both! What an adventure something like that would be.

David

Europe":2wgdijbr said:
BTW Hodgeman, the Marco Polo is hunted in the mountains--just giving you a bad time lol

I think that would be a cool hunt. I enjoy sheep hunting, I'm just not passionate about it like some folks...which is weird, since I live in some of the best sheep country in N. America!

David, the fastest, and cheapest way to do what you want to do is to convince Gil or Cheyenne that you are a long lost indian relative-----or become good friends with Hodgeman, Bear78 or Salmonchaser as they appear to be on first name terms with the critters you want to hunt.

Seriously David, that is a good list of animals, all would be an excellent hunt for you, I hope it happens

6mm Remington":1vxid882 said:
April my dream hunt would be for moose, sheep, wolf, and grizzly bear in either Canada or Alaska. Not sure which rifle I would take. It would either be my 30-06 or my .280 AI. If I could manage it somehow it would be nice to have a back-up rifle so I optimally would like to take both! What an adventure something like that would be.

David

I've been privileged to hunt all of these. What an excellent list of game animals, David. I do hope you see this desire fulfilled one day soon. I'm with April in pulling for you in this case. (y)

My wife thinks it's too expensive if I buy a deer tag, and spend a few days camping in the Cascades, hunting.

Sigh...

I guess my "dream hunt" would be either Africa for cape buff, or Alaska/Canada for a mixed-bag big game hunt...

Guy

I would really like to do a 2 week float trip in Alaska for Moose and Caribou. Given the logistics for such a hunt it would most likely have to be guided, therefore I'm sure it would be fairly expensive.

lefty315":28uka74h said:
I would really like to do a 2 week float trip in Alaska for Moose and Caribou. Given the logistics for such a hunt it would most likely have to be guided, therefore I'm sure it would be fairly expensive.

This would be mine also...throw in a Kodiac brown bear and I am one happy camper...

Cheers/bg

Europe":3niqcval said:
Rodger, my husband and I was able to do the Russian bear and moose hunt, but it was years ago and from memory the entire hunt was just north of ten grand. Today the trophy fee on the bear is more than that. But that is a good choice, politics withstanding, as their animals are HUGE.

Dr Mike, excellent choice and point, my scurrying about after the shot days are long over.

Aleena'a great-grandfather was able to hunt Tiger and that has been her desire since as long as I have known her. They have ask a couple governments to notify them if they have a rogue tiger that needs to be put down, but to date, no luck
I had a friend who did the Russian Brown Bear hunt and he scored a huge Bear. It was his last hunt and he knew it since he had stage 4 cancer but lived long enough to see his dream come true. :)

I'd like one of those big griz or brown bear hunts in Alaska, Russia or BC.

I would probably complete the sheep slam. I have a Rocky Mountain ram, need a whole lot of money for the rest of them.:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dream hunt...I don't think I can pick just one!!! Big moose/bear in Canada or Alaska or a big mountain lion would be awesome!!

A good moose hunt, Brooks range or Yukon Territory appeals to me.
I've done float trips, fishing. No desire to do so in mid September. Brrrrr. I want a big tent and lots of firewood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could drop $700+ on a non-resident antelope hunt in SD easy. That's expensive to me....Sorry just grousing- ignore me. CL

Red Stag in either NZ or Scotland. Moose anywhere. My true fantasy hunt would be to spend the entire fall seasons - September -December, chasing elk in every state, including Kentucky and here in Texas.

Back