Old school Winchester Silver Tips

lefty315

Handloader
Sep 29, 2004
Grandad used to swear by the old Winchester Silver tips. I've got a bunch of then loaded up specifically for a sporterized 03 Springfield with a Williams peep sight on it. I've been thinking about using it this year if I draw a spring bear tag for Western Washington. Anyone ever use them on tougher critters like a black bear?

I've used the WW 30-06 180 gr Silver Tips on WT deer in my youth and worked.
Put it where it needs to go and you will be fine. It's a cool classic bullet.

JD338

The one and only Black Bear I shot was with my 300 H&H Mag with 180gr Silver Tip.
Just FYI they would shoot one inch groups at 100 yards.

I used a lot of the old 125gr Silvertips in the '06 for some depredation work. Behind the shoulder they dropped deer like Thor's hammer.

I see no reason not to shoot a bear with one unless you try to break them down with shoulder shots. Black bear are pretty lightly built, especially in the spring when they are thin from their nap.

I used the 180 and 220 gr Silvertip's in my 30-06 on moose and bears in the early 1990's, they worked but were pretty soft. Not sure how they were before that but I switched to the Speer G.S. after that with excellent results.

My grandpa used them in his 300 Savage for many years, for both deer and elk. Penetration was lacking because of bullet disintegration. One elk I remember particularly was quartering away, and took a bullet just forward of the hindquarter. That side of the rib cage was totally bloodshot as well a major portion of the shoulder. I hate to think of what one would do out of a 300 mag.
Dad with his 06 had penetration problems with the 180 gr Sierra. Both of these occurrences were in the late 50's. Dad switched to the 180 Partitions in the early 60's and never used another hunting bullet after that.

It's not like I don't have plenty of .30 cal bullets that are tougher. There's just something a little nostalgic using some old 180 grain Silver tips out of classic rifle. I've never used them before and had heard they were a bit on the fragile side. Didn't know how they'd hold up against a larger bear if I took a quartering towards or shoulder shot.

I have called in a few Arizona coyotes while I have been down here this winter. My rifle of choice has been a Remington Tactical in .308, using 168 gr Nosler CC. These bullets are extremely accurate in this rifle, but I will not use them again for hunting. I have had two coyotes shake off a dead on hit and run off out of sight. . Next year I will be using a soft point bullet. I really think it works the best when when you match the bullet for the application.

Maybe reserve those old Silvertips for deer? And go after your bear with Partitions or Accubonds?

Guy

Dad used them in his Pre War M70 30-06 and swore by them for deer. They would really mess a white tail up.

What makes me think the tip was just Aluminum?, Is that possible???? I remember some old timers claimed that the Silvertips would" really knock them" mostly from 30/30s.
LoL now that I think back on it, most of them only ever had two or three crotchorns or a lamb deer hanging in their front yard ,all the time I knew them. So not sure one should probably put a lot of weight on "their" choice of projectiles. :?
Love to have a dollar for every time some nimrod told me about all the deer some relative has shot in his lifetime. A common reference was " if you had them all in one pile" it was a sight to
Behold indeed!

Maybe I'll just keep them for paper punching till they run out. There's just something weird about seeing a ballistic tip style bullet in the magazine of an open sighted gun. It's needs something more blunt. I might have to dig around on the shelf and see what else I've got.

I shot a few deer with them in .308 win and they acted like a conventional soft point, but somewhat more erratic. Cross sectioned one out of curiosity, and the tip was an aluminum cap folded under the jacket.

A guy in our hunting party used some in .35 rem, and had the FMJ experience. They seem to not like lower velocities. If you want a cool old school bullet for your 06, find some Norma Alaskas. 180 gr RN specifically built for tougher game at '06 velocities

I used a lot of the old 130 grain silvertips and they were mean medicine on deer. Probably my favorite 270 bullet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have shot whitetail with the 180 grain out of the 300 mag. Don't worry about shooting a scrawny black bear with them. It will fall over, and your work will begin.

Back