2017 Hunting Pictures

Thought I'd share my oldest sons passion. He has around 15 dogs that he hunts wild feral hogs with. He had to prove to the local farmers/ranchers that his dogs would only chase hogs and that he could save them money. He now has access to over 10k private acres here in South Central Texas. Here's just a few pics of some he got this year. Oh, he carries a pistol, but mainly sticks them with a knife. He has real good catch dogs.
34fbc8bcbe33ca5dd0f2342988fce3d9.jpg
fb85bf9c94ebfb7709bde6b3c06cd193.jpg

That is taking the fight to the hogs! Excellent pictures to remind those who haven't hunted them that these swine are well equipped to put a hurt on anyone. Thanks for sharing.

Yes sir. That hog pictured above was a little under 300lbs. No photo shop or trickery going on. These suckers are big and mean. He has only killed 1 hog that was probably over 400, but they couldn't get it out to weigh so we'll just call that a tale since we have no pics. Haha. He kills at least 1 every weekend and some weekends he gets as many as 10. Not even putting a dent in the population.

Palouser,

Congratulations to you and your daughter on the cow elk.
My daughter is 29 and we hunt together every year! I look forward to this time together every year.
Way to go!

JD338

tpepper70

Those are some impressive looking hogs.
Congratulations to your son.

JD338

Thanks JD338, they sure are. I have lots more pics, but will spare the space. Love this forum and love seeing real hunting from all over. Someday I'll get to hunt something up north.

Outstanding! Someday I'd like to go hog hunting again, it's been a long time.

Guy

I know of a guy who was recently in Texas to hunt hogs. Don't know all the details but he had an opportunity to try and kill a hog with a six foot spear :shock: . Don't know how it is done and I haven't heard all the details ... but I know he is having extensive surgery on his shoulder and has a bunch of stitches in his leg. He noted, "I picked one a little too big and we had a go around.... He's (the pig) on the wall, so I won, eventually....." The guy probably has a dozen firearms that could kill any hog on the planet and he chooses a spear :shock: :shock: :roll: We gave him a lot of grief and reminded him about the price of pork at the grocery store. :grin: Impressive pic. I bet its fun to hunt with the dogs. CL

Dang, poor fella. Glad he won the battle. My son has 3 classes of dogs. He turns loose his tracking dogs 1st, usually 2. When they strike a track, he catches up to them, they all have Garmin tracking collars, and turns loose the bay dogs, 2. The tracking dogs also help bay the hog. Once the hog is bayed, he gets withing 15 yards and turn loose the catch dogs. Once the catch, you run up, grab the back legs, flip him over and stick him behind the shoulder angling toward the heart. Simple as that. A true adrenaline rush.

Does varmints count in this thread?

.257 Roberts using the 100 gr Sierra. Missed it twice before the third shot connected. Shot over the bunny (twice) before I lowered the crosshairs for the third shot. The bunny was about 60 yards away. :mrgreen:

Sure they count! Jacks Are fun!! Those .25's are flat shooting and deadly. You had to fire a couple warning shots... :) Just to make it interesting. (y). Rifle sure looks nice. CL

You're stirring me to get out my Bob and go pop a few coyotes and hares. Excellent pictures of a woefully neglected opportunity.

Yup,but the problem is getting drawn for an antelope tag here in New Mexico. Kinda like finding a virgin in the maternity ward. ;)

It'll be fun using the rifle,antelope tag or not.

Redfield scope? From some time ago?

I haven't been rabbit hunting in quite a while. Congrats!

Guy

elkhunternm":vs3k2xgg said:
Yes,it is an older model. It has a dot that covers 2" at 100 yds.

I have an older 6x Leupold with a dot like that, combined with tapered crosshairs. Found it to be a great field/hunting scope!

Guy

Busted a gobbler this morning. 20 lbs, 11" beard, 1" spurs. Called in a double and they gobbled and strutted all the way.

IMG_20170423_133952.jpg

Back