Nosler Homepage Shop Nosler Search Nosler Talk Loading & Reloading Nosler Load Data
Nosler Homepage Shop Nosler Search Nosler Talk Loading & Reloading Nosler Load Data
Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:15 pm

• Custom Rifle Sale Ad
  • Shooters Pro Shop
  • Nosler Ballistics 2.0

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Unusual Hunts
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:17 am 

I jumped down and read your post on the shotgun thread, very nice hodgeman, thank you

We have a member from Australia, if you should happen to log on, have you been on one of Australia's camel hunts, has anyone? they have a problem with Camels in Australia like Texas has with hogs. that would be an unusual hunt and I was wondering if that was where Jamila's sister got her's.

On the same response to Preacher about the 7 x57, it was noted that the woodleigh bullet works well with that caliber. I might also mention the woodleigh bullets works well with the 275 H & H and the 280 Ross.

do we have any other members here, like myself, who still likes the slow calibers. 6,5 x 55, 7 x 57, 30-06, 348 or 358, 375 H & H, using a bullet designed to work in them, like the woodleigh. Everybody makes a big deal about needing more speed and distance but many of those same fellows also bow hunt, successfully. How do they do that ?

and more important, do you still drink your coffee, strong and black, or are you one of those new Starbucks coffee drinkers ? if you are you will have to bring your own ingredients to my camp. I will supply the coffee and you can water it down anyway you like

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:30 am 

April, among my favourite rifles are a couple of .358 Wins, a .280 Rem and a .284 Win. Speed is nice, but accuracy still kills. Consequently, I like my coffee like I like my ladies--strong and black. :shock: Wait! Where did I find that redhead that has shared my life for the past fifty years? :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:44 am 

DrMike wrote:
April, among my favourite rifles are a couple of .358 Wins, a .280 Rem and a .284 Win. Speed is nice, but accuracy still kills. Consequently, I like my coffee like I like my ladies--strong and black. :shock: Wait! Where did I find that redhead that has shared my life for the past fifty years? :mrgreen:

LOVE IT--perfect response. Living with a redhead, possibly made you black ( and blue ) a time or two lol

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:56 am 

My wife is a gem. She has been more than tolerant during the years of our life together. Though she does not share my passion for the great outdoors, she is one of my strongest supporters in my ventures afield. I could never have asked for more. And I still like my coffee strong and black. I drank a cup with cream in it once--once. Back to black in a hurry.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:32 am 

we have some fellows here who are upset that we dont talk about only hunting topics and dispense with the jokes and ( in their words ) "your stupid BS that contributes nothing but cluttering up the forum".

Well, for one, I have always attempted to not take anything to seriously, especially an internet forum, as I am pretty sure I am not going to get out of this life alive anyway. Secondly, unlike Cheyenne, Brooke, and even Jamila, to some degree, you will not run me off. third, if jim or fotis dont like my posts, they will tell me, and to date neither of them have sent me a warning to "knock it 0ff", again using your words. In fact my reaction is to steal one of Hodgemans quotes--"some peoples kids"

Dr Mike, she sounds like a sweetheart, I am glad you found each other and have such a fine marriage, good for you

Jamila, likes to tell the story about her father always saying he likes his coffee, just like his women--"hot, black and strong". to which her mother one morning got up fixed his coffee and applied black make up to her hands and face and brought his coffee to him.

To make everyone happy, back to the thread.

Has anyone here hunted Camels ?

Does anyone else besides, Dr Mike, Preacher, Jamila's sister and myself, like the old slower calibers ?

Does anyone hunt buffalo/bison regularly and if so what caliber do you use ? Possibly not for Dr Mike, Gil, or Cheyenne, but a bison hunt would be an unusual hunt for some ?

And just to irritate some, are their any other REAL coffee drinkers, who like their coffee, hot, strong and black ?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:50 am 

Touché. Sounds as if someone needs a cuppa' joe--strong, hot and black. (y)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:51 am 

Hot, Black, strong and Brazilian for my coffee (no sugar. April, safe to say you would enjoy my coffee.

I prefer big holes in the game I shoot. I have no rocket launchers in my arsenal. I plan to add a 300 win mag so I can reload a belted mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:57 am 

April, I always enjoy your post as you don't take any guff from us old guys :lol:.
My oldest boy has entered us on a special Buffalo up in northern Saskatchewan it is on First Nations Land, if we get the draw it is on about 30,000 acres of land so I guess you could call it a fenced hunt but there are no fence way up there :wink:.
We would be allowed 1 bull, it includes processing of the meat and the taxidermist work as well, I will be using my RMR in the 35 Whelen and will be talking to DrMike about what medicine I will need to anchor this true Monarch (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Whelen is the way

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:38 am 

I agree with the others, plus Earle, who mentioned --how many times can we look at a target with holes in it--besides for most of us this is the off season, hunting wise.

Dan, that sounds great, I hope you and your son draw for it. I would also like to hunt them, but I have so many things I still want to hunt, they are not even close to the top, nor are camel's.

I have to be honest, the forum and its collection of members, some who travel quite a bit, do bring things to the forum I had never even considered, hunting camels and that they are considered a pest like the wild hogs in Texas. I also sometimes smile when someone like Hodegeman, Earle, Jamil, April, Dr Mike, Gil, Cheyenne and others ,make matter of fact statements, that are so unusual or even unknown to some of us. Dr mike, well I have nothing else to do today so will go Grizzly hunting. Hodgeman, the wife ask me to go get some Caribou for dinner, Jamil, my sister put down a camel,

I could spend a year just following that crowd around and never get bored

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:44 pm 

I like the 7x57,.30/06,.375 H&H,.35 Whelen.

Also like the .25/06,.243,.270,.300 H&H,.300 Wby and the .375 RUM. Guess that means I cannot make up my mind. :)

Coffee,strong with creamer. No sugar.

Member Houston Safari Club.

Ken.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:35 pm 

April, the big kid in me will never tire of the jokes and teasing, as Mike can attest to, it is what builds the camaraderie bond and adds to the overall experience and friendship, regardless the topic or activity that the parties are involved in! Love it! Keep it up! Keeps life interesting!

To those who do not enjoy it...get a life! Relax! Enjoy the lightheartedness! You will enjoy the experience a whole lot more! Life is full enough of seriousness and heartache...smile and laugh with us! We welcome you!

As for strong, black java juice...unfortunately I am allergic to coffee...and yes, the coffee, not the caffeine. My mother used to say that she liked her coffee like her men, strong and black! Dad, said he liked it like his women, sweet and creamy!

Hunting camels sounds like a bit of a challenge and challenges bullet performance as well. Would be fun with my 416 Taylor or 376 Steyr! Would be a good excuse to pick up a double in 450/400 NE!

While I have hunted and harvested 7 bison to date since 1992, I am not sure if that quite qualifies as a usual hunt for me. I have been a number of unsuccessful bison hunts too, and still came home with great memories or other game. I have to say I have had the most success with the 338 Win Mag and 210 gr Partition, but also was impressed with the 376 Steyr's performance with the 260 gr AB.

For slower cartridges; I like and want another 218 Bee, want a 221 Fireball, am going to build a 225 Winchester, love the 6.5x55 and cannot wait for it to arrive, like my new 338 Federal, really like my 338-06 and am looking forward to using it in Africa, like and want another 348 Win, love the 358 Win, building a 9.3x62 and will use it in Africa on my next trip, and love the 375 Win.

And yes, I do like my 7mm STW and 270 Wby, and bowhunt too! Go figure! LOL
It is all part of the adventure!
Variety is the spice of life!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:41 pm 

April, I enjoy your posts as well. Keep them coming.

Slower cartridges: 45-70 and 30-30 are my two favorites.

Never hunted camels.

Like my coffee strong and black, I even make cowboy coffee when my wife is not around or I'm hunting/camping.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:59 pm 

Haven't seen that many camels trekking through the wilds of British Columbia. If I saw one, I'd swear off strong, hot, black coffee, I suspect. For the moment, I'm going upstairs and grab a cuppa'.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:05 pm 

I guess "slower" is relative, but I still love the 30-30 and the .308 is one of my favorites. The 7-08 (ballistically a 7x57) is quickly becoming a favorite rifle cartridge of mine as well...funny I've never thought it "slow".

I keep eyeballing the Big Horn Armory 89 in 500S&W. That's slow(er) and cool as all get out.

Coffee is only good one way- black and hot and served in a bottomless cup.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:28 am 

Dr Mike---THANK YOU

Good luck to you and your son Dan

o.k. Ken your not invited to our camp---creamer ? LOL

mjcmichigan---well you might be right, as we loved our time in Rio

Allen, cowboy coffee--that will either remove or grow hair on certain parts of the anatomy that shall go unmentioned here on the forum

gil, your right and although Willian Cowper first said it, Mickey and Elizabeth lived it

Gil, excellent response about slow/fast/bowhunting and your right

Hodgeman, My son was looking at the Big Horn and the Wild West Co pilot ( 457WWG/45/70 ). you like the Big Horn better ? He thought the co-pilot would be pretty easy to transport. Have you been to Wild West facilities in Alaska? We visited their place in Vegas once and excluding the cost, I thought they made a pretty nice rifle. My son tells me they have now opened a place in Florida and are also selling gold coins, at least at their location in Florida. Anyway from memory the cost of the Big Horn and WWG are about the same, so is your decision made on the caliber offered or you feel the Big Horn puts out better rifles ?

BTW, when available I have been know to sneak a little bit of an adult beverage into my coffee, especially on a very cold morning, just to get these old bones moving, not because I like it

p.s. all my gal pals/ship mates have headed back home. Currently waiting on my daughter and grand daughter to arrive from the states and they will sail with me back to the Canary Islands. Had to wait for my granddaughter to finish her school year before they could come. I am so looking forward to making this trip with them and thank God for all his blessings--my husband, my children, my grandchildren, my health, allowing me the independence and health that allows me to do what I want to do at my age and for Holland and Holland who made three of the best rifle calibers in existence ( lets see how this last blessing goes over with the membership Dr Mike)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:24 am 

Europe wrote:
Dr Mike---THANK YOU

Good luck to you and your son Dan

o.k. Ken your not invited to our camp---creamer ? LOL

mjcmichigan---well you might be right, as we loved our time in Rio

Allen, cowboy coffee--that will either remove or grow hair on certain parts of the anatomy that shall go unmentioned here on the forum

gil, your right and although Willian Cowper first said it, Mickey and Elizabeth lived it

Gil, excellent response about slow/fast/bowhunting and your right

Hodgeman, My son was looking at the Big Horn and the Wild West Co pilot ( 457WWG/45/70 ). you like the Big Horn better ? He thought the co-pilot would be pretty easy to transport. Have you been to Wild West facilities in Alaska? We visited their place in Vegas once and excluding the cost, I thought they made a pretty nice rifle. My son tells me they have now opened a place in Florida and are also selling gold coins, at least at their location in Florida. Anyway from memory the cost of the Big Horn and WWG are about the same, so is your decision made on the caliber offered or you feel the Big Horn puts out better rifles ?

BTW, when available I have been know to sneak a little bit of an adult beverage into my coffee, especially on a very cold morning, just to get these old bones moving, not because I like it

p.s. all my gal pals/ship mates have headed back home. Currently waiting on my daughter and grand daughter to arrive from the states and they will sail with me back to the Canary Islands. Had to wait for my granddaughter to finish her school year before they could come. I am so looking forward to making this trip with them and thank God for all his blessings--my husband, my children, my grandchildren, my health, allowing me the independence and health that allows me to do what I want to do at my age and for Holland and Holland who made three of the best rifle calibers in existence ( lets see how this last blessing goes over with the membership Dr Mike)

Yup,I'm weird. ;)

Member Houston Safari Club.

Ken.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:45 am 

Europe wrote:
Hodgeman, My son was looking at the Big Horn and the Wild West Co pilot ( 457WWG/45/70 ). you like the Big Horn better ? He thought the co-pilot would be pretty easy to transport. Have you been to Wild West facilities in Alaska?

I've not examined a Big Horn up close yet but I have the WWG Co Pilot. My preference is for "what I think" the BHA gun is. Every time I messed with the .500S&W, I thought they had made a great lever action rifle cartridge and a pitiful handgun cartridge. It's just too much in a revolver IMHO. The BHA gun just has a nice classic appeal to me.

The Co Pilot is a fine gun and I visited the original WWG location a number of times in the past. I used to be loosely acquainted with one of their gunsmiths and had chatted with Jim West on a number of occasions. They make some nice stuff but it seems at this time they are relocating much of their operations to Las Vegas. My neighbor bought a Co Pilot and was sorely disappointed that it came marked that way.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:37 pm 

thank you Hodgeman

I also ask Brooke if she would be so kind as to give us any information about these rifles as I knew her family had both. She will not make a post but said I could quote her

"hodgeman is as usual, spot on. My great uncle uses his Big Horn when he goes fishing for bear protection and says he feels it is very well made, loves the sights that come with the rifle, it is a short range, very short range rifle, and with the loads he prefers, the recoil is like a 404 Jeffery. He also agrees with Hodgeman about the Wild West, it is a very well made rifle and the 45/70 is more than enough for the big bears but of course it will shoot their 457, which he has not done. For any type of "normal" hunting, he actually prefers the 358 and 348 to the 45/70--or 500S & W. But it is fun to burn through a few dollars of ammo and watch stumps disappear when playing with the 500 S & W"

Does anyone else have any experience with the Big Horn or Wild West, as I do have an interest. Does Browning make a 45/70, I know they did but do not know if they still do. Is the Marlin as good, or better, or same as the Wild West ? thanks

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:46 pm 

I'd have to concur with the above- I tend to view the big bore levers as specialty guns- up close big critter protection or bears over baits or tree stand hunting on the east coast. Basically where the ranges are going to be relatively short.

I'd take lots of other guns out for "general purpose" type hunting. I kinda want the BHA for bears over bait, which I rarely ever do but could do more of when they make grizzly legal over bait next year.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4 Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3