Accubond on Elk

bangskeet

Beginner
Oct 7, 2017
We just got an Elk with a 30-06 using 55gr of H4350 with 180gr AccuBond reload.

The shot was around 265 yards and it went down instantly. It entered through a rib, then through the lungs, and out through the other rib. The exit hole through the rib was twice the size as the entry hole. Unfortunately, I was unable to recover the bullet.

Excellent bullet!!! (y) :grin: :mrgreen:

Welcome aboard, bangskeet. Glad to see a new member posting here. Sounds as if you have verified (once again) that the outdated '06 still works as well as it ever did. Do you hae any pictures to post?

DrMike":3khrmsf9 said:
Welcome aboard, bangskeet. Glad to see a new member posting here. Sounds as if you have verified (once again) that the outdated '06 still works as well as it ever did. Do you hae any pictures to post?

Is the 30-06 considered outdated these days? I don't think wild game has changed much over the years. :lol: I have a 300 Win Mag and prefer my '06 while hunting.

There are so many cartridges out there these days along with premium bullets. I load premium bullets since it's fairly inexpensive as a reloader. Premium ammo can get very expensive, especially with magnum cartridges. My 300 Win Mag got me into reloading since it was so $$$ to shoot.

I have some pictures and will post when I get a chance.

welcome aboard and yes the 30-06 will still get it done. And the Nosler bullets are excellent bullets

our friend here in Montana sill uses a 30-06 for all his hunting

Last year's 180gr 338 cal AccuBond. Recovered only because it was a quartering shot from a 338 Federal, not as much big oomph, but sure knocked the snot out of a 138" white tail. Here's a chunk of lung that came out the entrance hole!
863ec5078ac2ce29a9d6e7a5e873e888.jpg
d1d86f61eedb14ba80f49e4fc6330c1c.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your elk. The 30-06 is a terrific all around cartridge.
Welcome to the forum.

JD338

I used the 200 grain in 30-06 for my moose, we recovered the bullet due to a longer shot, looks just like every other recovered AccuBond. No picture, my father has it at his place. You'll do great with an AccuBond, don't worry.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Welcome! and congratulations! A 30-06 and 180 gr AccuBond is pretty serious medicine for 4 legged critters!

Attachments

• kevin kudu.jpg
    kevin kudu.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 542
  • kevin wildebeast (1).jpg
    kevin wildebeast (1).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 542
Congratulations on your elk, and welcome to the forum!

Am kinda fond of the good old 30-06 myself.

Guy

Back