Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:40 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Spring bear 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:26 pm 

Beautiful bear! Congratulations. He did very well, indeed. Was he using the BLR?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:28 pm 

Guy Miner wrote:
Wow! Congrats. That's a great looking bear, and if that's the only photo, it's excellent.

Guy

Thanks Guy he is proud as can be right now, he just about had a heart attack when he spotted the bear :lol: There are other pictures but the one posted is the best of them

DrMike wrote:
Beautiful bear! Congratulations. He did very well, indeed. Was he using the BLR?

Yes sir, the BLR with 225 gr Woodleigh's did the trick. His shot was a bit far back but I attribute that to extreme excitement :wink:

A variation of the same picture earlier, it was tough in that spot to get any other pose that looked good, glad we got a few pictures that turned out well.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:04 pm 

That's awesome Gerry! Great bear! Good gosh look at the excavator's on the front of that thing. That's some rough country to get animals out of that size.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:20 pm 

ShadeTree wrote:
That's awesome Gerry! Great bear! Good gosh look at the excavator's on the front of that thing. That's some rough country to get animals out of that size.

If you just zoomed in on the claws you might even think grizzly but it was definitely a black bear. Their claws are longer in the spring after sleeping all winter and get worn down as the summer and fall progress. We stripped the meat off the carcass and packed it up to the truck, would probably still be there if we had to bring it out whole :lol:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:32 pm 

gerry wrote:
ShadeTree wrote:

If you just zoomed in on the claws you might even think grizzly but it was definitely a black bear. Their claws are longer in the spring after sleeping all winter and get worn down as the summer and fall progress. We stripped the meat off the carcass and packed it up to the truck, would probably still be there if we had to bring it out whole :lol:

Ha. I assumed you packed it out, looking at that picture it would take 8 men and a winch to work that thing up and out whole, lol. Still even packing it out, everything goes harder and slower dealing with big animals in steep terrain.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:04 am 

Gerry, please congratulate your nephew on a beautiful black bear :wink:. I know that he is going to get some fine table fare from that boar (y).
Now it is your turn my friend are you going to use your Whelen or get some more blood on the 358 BLR?

Blessings,
Dan

Whelen is the way

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:26 pm 

Thanks Dan, I'll pass it on to him. I'm going to use the Whelen this time and try the 225 gr Sierra BTSP at 2700 fps and see what it does. Have never shot anything with that bullet and would like to try them and see how they work. I'll use the 358 Win BLR for myself on some deer this fall with 180 or 200 gr bullets and will carry it for moose in the brush with those 225 gr Woodleigh's. The 200 gr Hornady RN bullets you sent me shoot very well out of the BLR with two different powders by the way.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:18 pm 

That is a great looking bear, I thought Grizz for a minute too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:18 am 

Love the size of his paws. Nice Picture

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:48 am 

I am glad to hear that Gerry, I may have a line on some more 358 cal bullets as a gentleman from the our Cardiac group at the gym is going to be selling off his reloading equipment and supplies and he has give me first opportunity to look over what he has :wink:!
Remember those bear bratwurst always taste better when they have been harvested by ones self (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Whelen is the way

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:58 am 

Gerry please excuse me for being late to post my mind hasn't been on hunting here of late but that is a great looking Bear and I wish they grew that big around here.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4 Go to page Previous  1, 2