Elk Bullet?

Thanks for the heads up....FYI.... I'm trying H1000 and we'll see how that goes first.

Take care,
P.W.

Well Pee Wee I have taken elk at bayonet range. I hid behind a ponderosa pine while a panicked herd ran past me. When the bull came by I just reached out with my 06 and pulled the trigger. 180 gr Partition, DRT.
Two of the guys I've hunted elk with since high school (70s) have been shooting 7mm RM. most of the elk they've killed were with partitions.
One of them started using the 160 AB a few years ago. He has killed elk from 30 to 400 yards with no issue. Most have been in the 250 to 300 yard range.
I gotta tell you I'm really impressed with your son and his parents. No small feat pulling off such an accomplishment. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words!
The kid is a really hard worker started milking cows when he was 13....before/ after school for the local farmers, while maintaining excellent grades in school.

Tomorrow is his 17th birthday and were headed to the range to get the ladder test done....will let you guy's know the results.

Take care,
P.W.

What ever shoots the best. Make sure he can shoot the rifle and is very comfortable with it. If he can't shoot it doesn't matter what bullet you use.

For all interested.... we're going to use the 160 grain AB pushed by approx 80 grains of H1000.....(still working on the exact power charge) This combo produced several sub MOA groups, at 300 yards!
I'll let you guy's know the FPS with the chronograph after we go to the range the next time.....my guess would be about 3,150 .....but will confirm.

P.W.

[quote "For all interested.... we're going to use the 160 grain AB pushed by approx 80 grains of H1000.....(still working on the exact power charge) This combo produced several sub MOA groups, at 300 yards!]pee wee "[/quote]
You are done, no need for further testing, get familiar with the rifle from field positions, and take it to the field.

That will work nicely. Stock up on seconds and get in as much shooting from field positions as possible.
Best of luck to you and your son on his hunt!

JD338

Thanks guy's for all the input on this subject! Just ordered a bunch of bullets this morning and will be reloading this weekend. Then, more shooting for as much practice as we can get in this summer.

P.W.

I like the 160 AccuBond, it may be the best all-around 7mm bullet on the market.

Here’s the results from last year.... 160 AccuBond at 3050 via 7mm Rem Mag, 550ish yards. Both Bullets exited.

74FF21AC-B745-4824-A3C8-279DD42B536C_zpsm5fihh22.jpg

Back