Using a borrowed rifle

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
I have found that I am in the minority on this topic.

I have never had a problem with using someone else rifle or shotgun to hunt with. We would be in another country on business and someone would ask us if we wanted to go hunting and we always said yes, if time allowed us to do so.

My first dove hunt in Argentina was with a shotgun owned by our host, and I had a great time.

But I find most do not like to hunt with any rifle or shotgun, and in some cases even loads, that are not their own. Possibly there is some good, at least for me, for preferring to hunt more than shoot, load, etc.

Anyone else out there that will hunt, even if they dont have their own equipment with them ?

Turn down a legal hunt? What in tarnation? I would hunt in another man’s underwear if I had the chance. You’re damn right I’d use his gun too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only borrowed a rifle once and I was more concerned about damaging or scratching it then shooting with it :eek:.
I have only lent my rifles out a few times and it was when I was with the person using it.
Just not something that happens very often (y).
Now when I was up Moose Hunting with DrMike I was going to ask to borrow one of his rifles but after looking at them I decided not as the bolts on almost all his rifles had a design flaw and I did not want to have to explain that to him :lol: :shock: !!

Blessings,
Dan

I wouldn't pass up any chance to go hunting. NO WAY!
I would, if I had to borrow a firearm, put a few rounds through it first to get acquainted with it. Just my opinion.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

I’ve considered it, but how does one pass up an excuse to buy the appropriate rifle? I just don’t know.

I loaned my 3006 to a friend who proceeded to drop it out of a tree stand. It stuck in the ground on the barrel. He leaned it against the tree and voila, down it went. I was a little anxious next time I shot it. Seems no worse for the fall. Still shoots well, scope dead on first shot cold. Since he has bought his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sask boy":2bvdhtnr said:
When I was up Moose Hunting with DrMike I was going to ask to borrow one of his rifles but after looking at them I decided not as the bolts on almost all his rifles had a design flaw and I did not want to have to explain that to him :lol: :shock: !!

Truth be told, I was too much of a gentleman to mention to Dan that his body was assembled with a marked flaw (eyes switched at birth, brain discombobulated, etc.). I would have gladly loaned him one of my fine firearms, but I knew he would make things really sticky when he reached across to work the bolt. Poor man. :?

I have loaned rifles on numerous occasions so that others could finish a hunt. I've never borrowed a rifle, primarily because I've never been in a situation where I had to do so. I'm not such a purist that I wouldn't borrow a firearm if necessary; it just hasn't happened to date.

I've used others rifles and shot guns in the past when Mine broke or was in a situation where I needed one. I have lent one to a friend but was with him when he used it.
The law is a little funny about lending fire arms and the lender could get into trouble here in MD.
So where it is legal I see no problem with it.

We did quite often when we were active members in the SASS.

I would have no problem doing so, if in a different country, especially like your example of shooting doves in SA. I would use a borrowed shotgun in a heartbeat to do that

I know a PH in South Africa who has a pair of really nice Model 70 Winchesters in 30-06 & 375, and makes them avail for his client hunters. He has a number of clients who fly over to Africa, with the hunt only being part of what they're doing. They rent cars, tour the national parks, go to the beach, fish, ride horses, etc... Then return home.

No need to hassle with transporting rifles & ammo and lugging them around for a couple of weeks of sight-seeing in foreign countries. I'd use his rifles in a heartbeat!

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":3e5c6609 said:
I know a PH in South Africa who has a pair of really nice Model 70 Winchesters in 30-06 & 375, and makes them avail for his client hunters. He has a number of clients who fly over to Africa, with the hunt only being part of what they're doing. They rent cars, tour the national parks, go to the beach, fish, ride horses, etc... Then return home.

No need to hassle with transporting rifles & ammo and lugging them around for a couple of weeks of sight-seeing in foreign countries. I'd use his rifles in a heartbeat!

Regards, Guy

Bingo!

That was us Guy, however in most cases the main purpose of the trip was business, we always tried to include other ventures and one of them was hunting. We would ask in advance about the firearms available and at times, like your friend in South Africa, some very nice ones were available.

Some here dont remember business before the internet. We traveled to meet the clients, in person. I know that is a novel concept now, but it was normal then.

I'm leary of using another person's rifle unless I know them well enough to know if they have it in good condition and it's sighted in. My brother once borrowed a rifle for a hunt. The darn trigger would only fire some of time!
When he brought it back the guy said...... "yeah, sometimes it does that".................... Really?????

As to hunting in another man's undies ..................................... don't think so.

gbflyer":2njc1yfj said:
Guns, chainsaws, and wives are best not loaned out. [emoji1]
You forgot fishing rods which always seems to get broken.
If your wife has a full time job you loan her out every day she goes to work. :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

While I prefer to use my own equipment, I've borrowed my son's rifle to shoot a critter on a couple of occasions. When I was planning an African hunt, it just seemed like an outsized hassle to drag one of my rifles from Alaska to Africa...I had planned on simply using the PH's loaner rifle.

While I don't usually loan people rifles to simply wander off with, I've taken folks hunting and had them use one of mine. My X-Bolt .270 racked up a number of kills in the hands of my friends and acquaintances.

I have loaned some of mine out. Never borrowed one. A friend went to Argentina to hunt doves. They provided shotguns and ammo. Too much hassle to bring guns in.

I never again plan to leave the US and there are many places in the US I will avoid. East coast, West coast and any blue states as much as possible. I have been to New Mexico and Colorado and might go back with reservations. My down deep policy is to not go anywhere I can't walk on dirt and carry a handgun. That means no air planes unless it's damned important.

Shot my first big game animal with my grandfathers rifle (whitetail doe w/ a marlin 30-30) and my first black bear with my Dad's rifle ('94 30-30), and my first whitetail with a friend's Dad's rifle (BLR 308 Win). These were back in the day when I was young and poor and did not own a rifle of my own.

Have shot other game with rifles and shotguns belonging to others, but not because I did not have a firearm, but they were chances to try other firearms and calibers.

I have let others use, try, and hunt my gear when they were with me, but have not loaned it out for their own excursions.

I can vouch for Gil letting people use his equipment (y) when we Moose hunting you did in fact spoil me by asking if I wanted to use your binoculars and then handing me a pair of Swarovski :shock:.
Since then every time I look through me Excursions I weep :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back