The Drive for Notoriety

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
This certainly appears to be a disgrace that is more common than any of us could wish.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdo...nnel-host-faces-federal-deer-poaching-charges

When the drive to get the biggest, the most outstanding game animals supersedes fair play, something is dreadfully wrong. Does getting a bigger buck actually make the show more memorable? Is it actually necessary to tag the biggest buck in order to keep viewers? Whatever happened to enjoying the hunt? Now, it would appear that we have to do something better than "average" in order to have worth. May I say that I'm thrilled with every one posting here who shot a doe, a spike elk or a smaller buck. Everyone is a trophy if it was taken according to the rules and the one taking the animal enjoyed the hunt.

Since I don't host any shows, I am perfectly happy with filling the freezer.
I shot bigger species on rather boring occations - they just happened to pass by - and recount one most often were the prey was young. But the situation was BIG!

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Dr. Mike;
Jimmy Huston of pro bass fishing fame had a fish show or outdoor show and the on hunting show showed him in a tree stand hunting deer. A monster buck was shown approaching the stand In the back round you could see a high game fence which was suppose to be out of focus. Yeah his hunting was based around shooting penned animals so how many other shows do the same but with better photography. These sponsors and directors will do anything to make a show look good.
I'm not even sure someone else didn't shoot the deer for him.
That is one of the main reasons I don't watch out door shows. The producers and directors will go to no lengths to produce a good show for the public to watch just like fake news.

I'm much more interested in hunting ordinary animals in trophy country than trophy animals in ordinary country.

hodgeman":3rxembvm said:
I'm much more interested in hunting ordinary animals in trophy country than trophy animals in ordinary country.

Well said!

truck driver":2a2bflmn said:
Dr. Mike;
Jimmy Huston of pro bass fishing fame had a fish show or outdoor show and the on hunting show showed him in a tree stand hunting deer. A monster buck was shown approaching the stand In the back round you could see a high game fence which was suppose to be out of focus. Yeah his hunting was based around shooting penned animals so how many other shows do the same but with better photography. These sponsors and directors will do anything to make a show look good.
I'm not even sure someone else didn't shoot the deer for him.
That is one of the main reasons I don't watch out door shows. The producers and directors will go to no lengths to produce a good show for the public to watch just like fake news.

I cancelled my subscription to Wild TV simply because I'm not all that interested in vicarious hunting. Too many suspicions concerning the game taken. I've heard too many negatives from those who were there guiding some of these "hunters" to be comfortable. The show becomes more important than the concept.

Randy Newberg and Steve Rinella are two I enjoy watching. They both seem to be closest to my reality. I can’t hardjy stand to watch someone sitting in a tree stand. I’d rather watch golf... no offense to golfers. I don’t mind taking a stand but watching it is boring.

I do enjoy seeing seeing folks take public land trophy’s. Spikes, cows, etc. doesn’t need to break any records to be a trophy. I believe inches of bone is getting carried away. Just my humble opinion.

hodgeman":1qnptprg said:

What a beautiful statement Mike

To take this a step further and I know Guy, Dr Mike, Gil, Don and Earle have eluded to enjoying the mountains, streams, meadows, rivers without ever firing a shot and I am sure their are many others here that feel the same way.

I enjoy watching

A herd of walrus sunbathing
A herd of musk ox forming a defensive circle to protect their young
A pack of Arctic wolves crossing the tundra
125000 Caribou migrating
Polar Bear fishing for arctic char
A moose fight is always entertaining

and not a fence, house, road or town in sight. For me it is always the perfect time to stop and have lunch

But to get back to what Hodgeman and others have said on this thread-------I agree with you gentlemen

SJB358":h8hjfqhq said:
Randy Newberg and Steve Rinella are two I enjoy watching. They both seem to be closest to my reality. I can’t hardjy stand to watch someone sitting in a tree stand.

As do I for pretty much the same reason.

Dr Mike,
I was raised that ANY Deer you get is a trophy regardless of it's size, period. We celebrated any success in our family deer camp no matter what.

Harvesting a doe is a big deal to me and I take great pride in placing the one shot kill, best can! My family loves venison.

There are a lot of hunting shows today that are a big put on, driven to make money and show case the one upmanship on their competitive rivals by displaying they always get the biggest trophies.

There has been days hunting I didn't any deer but considered it a great day to be in the woods.
I love the outdoors and mountains.

Don

Yep, I get 3 hunting channels and they're almost never on. Just a couple of shows that seem like straight up hardcore hunting.

Still say the advent of TV hunting shows and the commercialization that goes with it, is what has about ruined the type of hunting most of us grew up with, and the neighborly attitude that went with it. Everybody with 5 acres is now planting food crops, putting out game camera's, managing for "trophy bucks" and posting it solid.

Just today, one of my wife's distant relations contacted her on Facebook to show off a deer they'd taken this fall. It was a young doe- probably a 2 or 3 year old. I'm not sure how long it'd been since they'd got a deer, but it'd been a while.

Every single member of the family took pictures with it, the smiles were as wide as I've seen. They included numerous pics of them breaking it down...right through cooking the backstrap with one of my wife's recipe.

While a bunch of folks would sneer at such an animal- there's not a big buck out there that people enjoyed more.

Coolest memory while hunting had nothing to do with shooting.
I was out for boar at night on a 'Kanzel' (see picture). I was half-dozing and looking out. Suddenly the window was full of owl - it wanted to land on the window-cover. It came in low and rose closely before the stand, so I did not see it before.
I was never that close to a heart-attack.
On another occasion I tried to call in a fox and an owl flew around the stand looking for the mouse. Such things don't happen sitting on the couch.

For me, hunting is about feeling, not big trophies on the wall...startseite-1.jpeg

I like big racks as much as the next guy , but I'm sure not a trophy hunter . a day or two before deer season Dad would always say , lets just hunt for big bucks this year , nothing smaller than a 3 inch spike . 3" was the Pa minimum . boy we brought enough of them home .

character is doing the right thing , even when no one is watching .

Ya - if you haven't seen any of Randy Newberg's shows, I'd recommend sitting through a couple. He often hunts and films in some pretty spectacular country. Also, he's had a few shows where... there ended up being no animal taken! There's still a lot to learn from him, and it's pretty entertaining. Newberg is very active in preserving wild lands and our access to those lands as hunters. Never met the man, but I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy hunting with him. Low key yet intense. Ya, those two things can go together.

Thankful Otter is right - I do thoroughly enjoy just being out in the hills - "successful" or not. I think that's also why I camp & hike year 'round, just to be out there in the hills & canyons, even if not actually hunting.

Or why sometimes I "hunt" with my camera.

Jimbires stated "I like big racks as much as the next guy, but I'm sure not a trophy hunter." I completely get that! I tend to hunt for "a buck" or "a bear" and yes I get all excited when I see some big ol' bull elk with a monster rack... But... that's not my real quest.

I hunt, for the hunt.

For the experience. Yes the meat is wonderful! Yes, antlers on the wall are great. But for me the real "trophy" is the experience of the hunt itself.

Regards, Guy

noslerpartition":2dxjaik3 said:
I was out for boar at night on a 'Kanzel' (see picture). ...

For me, hunting is about feeling, not big trophies on the wall...

I really like the looks of that blind... are there online planes for it?
Auf English?

Schoenest Tag!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":1yd9mmay said:
noslerpartition":1yd9mmay said:
I was out for boar at night on a 'Kanzel' (see picture). ...

For me, hunting is about feeling, not big trophies on the wall...

I really like the looks of that blind... are there online planes for it?
Auf English?

Schoenest Tag!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't think there are for exactly that one because it is commercial, but there are plans for similar ones. I will take a look. You will have to live with metric units, though ;-)

If the ordinary person knew how much phoney BS goes
on in the real world of trophy hunting it would turn your
stomach......... Unfortunately American's top the list in hunting egos. ANYONE that has never fired a rifle with $10,000 can fly into Kansas tomorrow, book a hunt with MidWest Hunting Adventures and shoot a bigger deer than anything most could ever imagine..... Not fair but true. Private leases, mature 5/7 year old monsters.
My next door neighbor shot a massive 15 point double droptine gagger here in his horse pasture a few years back
with his brothers 30/30. He was 45 years old and had NEVER shot a deer in his life........ Not fair but true.
Hunting is a wonderful sport, for me its all about the anticipation and the romance of friends and family at camp, waking up to the smell of woodsmoke and bacon
frying and hoping for fresh tracking snow. I have always been fascinated with big horns since I was a kid. And just
would not shoot smaller bucks....... I have killed 17 in my life that made it over 200lbs, however I went dozens of seasons I "never taged one" but had past up, on decent 8 pointers I
knew were 160/180 lbers. So if your going to "hunt horns"
Get prepared to eat " horn soup" cause your not always going to get em......... I am 19 days after the same buck today, and no closer than I was the first day!
But if I never get him, it wont change one thing.
The coffee will taste the same, the smell of bacon
frying at 4:30 am will never change, the snapp n pop
of split cedar in the old stove, getting the fire going, will sound the same....
It isnt about a 200lber on the tailgate, its alot more than
that. When we came in last nite after dark the new snow on the side of our tracks was so dry it sparkled like a million diamonds, in the headlights. And is a spectacular sight, to anyone.
For those that those that have never seen the diamonds of
hunting life, and believe it too be found in a big set of horns, I wish you well. For you have likely missed the whole reason for hunting?

Back