Big Maine Bucks coming in!

Congrats on those bucks E! Those are some big bodied deer! Cool to see the Whelen getting some field time!

Tnx Scotty,
Best tracking conditions we have had for years! Its 2 below zero here right now , so coldest 3rd week we have ever had, with finest tracking snow here at the moment,
Since I came back from Alaska. Lakes all froze up here a week ago. We saw 2 young coyotes running on it last nite
Just before dark. Have to dig out the 6.5 n the 25/06 shortly, not enough ice to mess around with a bait yet.
Chasing a big one today. We Will see how it goes he took us over 6 miles on Saturday and jumped him 4 times, but so thick where he travels and soooo much snow bagging the branches down we never got a shot. He knows all the tricks about jumping up into a woods road and walking in
Tire tracks for hundred yards then jumping sidewise right out of the road into a small spruce tree knocking all the snow off it, to compleatly cover his tracks away......... He only ever moves during the middle of nite, so his track when we find it this morning, will be an hour old when you take it.
But I have an extra hunter today to post at known crossing; So we will breath fire onto him and see if we can get him to make a mistake??? The hunter has a 1962 model 100 Winchester in 358,
That he has shot a pile of running deer with. So if he cross's infront of him it may be over, it will be an intetesting chase with lots of snow down your neck and thru the worst places he can find
is his normal mode of operandi........

35 Whelen":3dg62xrv said:
Tnx Scotty,
Best tracking conditions we have had for years! Its 2 below zero here right now , so coldest 3rd week we have ever had, with finest tracking snow here at the moment,
Since I came back from Alaska. Lakes all froze up here a week ago. We saw 2 young coyotes running on it last nite
Just before dark. Have to dig out the 6.5 n the 25/06 shortly, not enough ice to mess around with a bait yet.
Chasing a big one today. We Will see how it goes he took us over 6 miles on Saturday and jumped him 4 times, but so thick where he travels and soooo much snow bagging the branches down we never got a shot. He knows all the tricks about jumping up into a woods road and walking in
Tire tracks for hundred yards then jumping sidewise right out of the road into a small spruce tree knocking all the snow off it, to compleatly cover his tracks away......... He only ever moves during the middle of nite, so his track when we find it this morning, will be an hour old when you take it.
But I have an extra hunter today to post at known crossing; So we will breath fire onto him and see if we can get him to make a mistake??? The hunter has a 1962 model 100 Winchester in 358,
That he has shot a pile of running deer with. So if he cross's infront of him it may be over, it will be an intetesting chase with lots of snow down your neck and thru the worst places he can find
is his normal mode of operandi........

THAT right there sounds like alot of fun! Good luck! Shoot me a text when you can!

That kind of a hunt does sound like fun. Good luck, as I write this an hour before shooting light in Oregon, I realized you are already tracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is another one that died today 243 lbs with 12 points
Big neck on this fella.......KIMG0253.jpg
At the tagging stationimage1_12.png

Just got back from Maine, saw many Does but nothing with Horns. My buddy tagged an Eight pointer that dressed out just under 200lbs. Big and smart deer in Maine!

That is very true! Combine that with a very thick forest and
An almost totally nocturnal deer and there are NOT many easy ones........ Probably the one thing we hear the most is
" these are nothing like our deer back home" .
Another big enemy is a big full moon, here is what it looked like last nite coming out.......20181122_163457_Burst01.jpg

Yeah bad timing on the Lunar phases for sure.
Opening day tomorrow here and I expect it to be a slow one with the moon being full and bright but with rain in the forecast maybe the cloud cover will help.

No deer moving this morning here at 5 above zero. Tracks everywhere looks like they pranced ALL nite in the moonlight and wont be moving till the big moon again tonite!!!
One of the guides wanted a smaller buck for eating .....
He isnt into horns for himself, here is a 1.5 year old crotchorn it weighed in 147 dressed. No smell to it at all.
Should be great eating ! 20181119_111504.jpg
High shoulder at 223yds from 130gr SST instant kill.....
Just red mist in snow off far side. Right down in the scope

35 Whelen":1ke4r615 said:
No deer moving this morning here at 5 above zero. Tracks everywhere looks like they pranced ALL nite in the moonlight and wont be moving till the big moon again tonite!!!
One of the guides wanted a smaller buck for eating .....
He isnt into horns for himself, here is a 1.5 year old crotchorn it weighed in 147 dressed. No smell to it at all.
Should be great eating !
High shoulder at 223yds from 130gr SST instant kill.....
Just red mist in snow off far side. Right down in the scope
Dang 1.5 year old dressing out at almost 150 lbs! Never stops amazing me at the body size of those northern bucks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Another example of bulky Maine buck off one of the game cameras. He is 250lb class deer. 20181204_.jpg

Here is yet another nice Buck shot next to a property we own about 30 miles away. I like the genetics in the area!
Screenshot9520181227-16194095Facebook~2.jpg

Back