your 2021 hunting plans ?

DrMike":1yrjk41u said:
Slimfinn":1yrjk41u said:
Not sure on my schedule yet, the project is taking longer than expected so likely I will be up north of the border again this year.
I can tell everyone that traveling back and forth into Canada is even harder now then it was 6 months ago.
Fingers crossed my rotation schedule puts me home for 2 weeks during hunting season and I will take the daughters out for deer and elk. Still waiting to hear from them if they want to put in for their antelope tags, pretty sure they would get them this year with the points they have. Also with it looking most likely that I will be here in BC Canada maybe I look into a local goat hunt.... or go see the Dr.

Well, if you don't mind tagging along with an old guy, I'm pretty certain the Doc could find some time to see what's shaking up in the mountains.

(y) I wouldn't mind one bit!

I drew Montana; didn’t expect that. Applications up 30% and drawing two years in a row. I’ll take lucky any day. I’ve no points for Oregon mule deer so my chances of drawing at home are slim. Given that I’m only home from Alaska for a week before deer season it might be good to stick around the house. I think I’m done chasing elk points in Oregon. The unit I live in is a good one, killed some great bulls over the years here. Mathmatically I should be able to draw a spike tag every year, I think that’s my plan going forward.
Continuing to build Wyoming points.
Didn’t draw a bear tag this spring. Just as well, I’ve only been able to get to my firewood plot for the last two days. Four more cords to go.
No turkeys this spring. I could have killed one in my yard a few minutes ago. They keep pooping on stuff it may still happen.
I’m no longer guiding upland hunts. Too hard on the dogs and both have injuries that limit how much they can hunt. The better half is retired now so we will probably take a thanksgiving trip through Montana into the dakotas, maybe swing into Nebraska. Pheasants and sharpies on the docket.
Alaska is shaping up to be the busiest season we’ve ever had. 80% of our guests are repeats, a couple groups have been with us for 20 years. Not too many surprises so hopefully the fish gods are good to us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At least I don’t have to mow this morning! Somebody didn’t check the gate apparently!
fce2cd287f7af2b99052570e9b1492c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about your regulations - do they have a hunting season?
:-D

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Well. Horse sausage has a long tradition over here...
Steaks are fine, too!

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Well I managed to get my gobbler opening weekend back in March. Every other time they have kicked me in the head so far lol. But mainly staying in Mississippi for deer, which we are allowed to kill alot of them so that helps. May make a trip for deer down to south Alabama. Really wanna hog to put a 416 into, but they are actually not common in my part of northeast Mississippi.
9f2d3afc1f862dc6854f134bff79c7b6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

No doubt the bird will provide a good feed. I'm certain it was good to get out for the hunt that early. Congratulations.

DrMike":3o25y62p said:
No doubt the bird will provide a good feed. I'm certain it was good to get out for the hunt that early. Congratulations.
Thanks DrMike wild bird is a great meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Didn't have turkey in KS when I was growing up, and they are rather scarce this far north, so I'm still unfamiliar with Wild Turkey. (Okay, I seem to remember drinking some Wild Turkey in my youth, but that's another story. Or was that Old Crow?) :?

So an old crow and a wild turkey walked into "Mike's Place" one night.... :mrgreen:

Best of luck this season all. (y)

Guy Miner":rmou92u6 said:
So an old crow and a wild turkey walked into "Mike's Place" one night.... :mrgreen:

Yup! Used to be a rather wild place on some nights! :twisted:

Used to tell people that I'd switched to "Old Squirrel." I didn't want to fly, just hop around a bit. :mrgreen:

About the same as last year. Spend 2 weeks looking for mule deer and antlered elk, but with one major change. My wife got us permission to hunt on some private property which also allows us to cross through said property to access some public land that is surrounded by private property. This isolated public land is known to be holding elk and deer as they are not pushed as very few people go in there to hunt.

Submitted my "special tags" applications for Washington yesterday:

Dream Team - LOL - almost no chance of drawing any of these once-in-a-lifetime tags:

Bighorn Ram - this would be great - within 30 miles of my home in an area I know well.
Bighorn Ewe

Mountain Goat - I "think" I'm still tough enough to get to these guys if I draw the tag.

Bull Moose - good population of them, I applied for four different areas. We will see.
Cow Moose - all the work, no antlers to mount. :)

Then there were a couple of different "special hunts" I applied for, for elk. An interesting one is now I can apply for "Over 65" tags. Ha! :mrgreen:

Thankfully I have over-the-counter tags in hand for deer (mule deer or whitetail), elk, and bear.

Guy

I know what you mean about hard to draw tags . I put in for Pa elk . I think I have about 16 points now . I have a better chance of getting struck by lightening , than drawing a tag .

This year I will be back on the road again to Upper Canyon Outfitters (UCO) in Alder MT where I have hunted very successfully for several years since 2013. I took a year off in 2020. With assistance of UCO staff I drew both elk and deer tags and look forward to the relief of open spaces and like minded folks away from New York State. Recently I pulled a small piece of elk sirloin from the freezer and grilled it with no seasoning except a little black pepper... As we finished the meal my wife said "Be sure to tell Donna (the Outfitter) that you cannot come home without elk meat"... (y)
Now to get this old body into shape and load up some Nosler Partitions or Accubonds for the '06.

70% chance of drawing my Oregon deer tag. 100% for my Elk tag, OTC Bear and Cougar. All tagless days will be Duck hunting for the dogs pleasure. Sever drought here, So water is going to be the key to big game. Dry and cooler is the trend.

Well I just heard my brother in law just drew both a Moose and Buffalo tag in Montana. Either one is basically a once in a lifetime but 2 in the same year, he needs to buy a lotto ticket. my wife said he seems to be is shock and concerned about being able to fill both. I checked the season dates moose is sept 15 to nov 28 and buffalo nov 15 to feb 15 so he has lots of time. The 2 areas are in opposite directions from where he lives but both under a 2 hour drive. Pretty excited for him (y) , I am sure his head is spinning.

He definitely hit the jackpot! Congratulations to your BIL. I'll be looking for pictures of his success this coming fall and winter.

Back