356 win elk bullet?????

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Now that Speer discontinued the 220 gr 358 bullet what would you use for elk in the timber?????

225 gr PT. 1 round in chamber and 1 in the magazine.

JD338

Had no idea Speer had discontinued the bullet. Fortunately, I have a good supply. I also have a supply of 250 grain Kodiak bullets. Jim's suggestion is solid. In timber, I wouldn't think that the Hornady 200 grain FTX would be a bad choice.

Thought about the fxt. Just not sure it is tough enough

I have used it with elk. It will work. Granted, I prefer the 220 grain Speer FN or almost any other bullet. However, it does work. I've also used the old Hornady 250 grain RN with success.

I would go with DrMike’s advice.

I’d go with the fat.

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about about the sierra on elk

Have used Sierra SGK's on a number of elk in other calibers with no issues.
Have some 375 Win ammo loaded with the Sierra FP's for hunting, but haven't used on game yet. Should not be an issue on bear and moose.
Do not see why a RN in the boiler room of an elk wouldn't work as well as the Speer 220 gr has.
I know that the jacket on the 338 215 gr SGK was made thicker so it would handle the velocities of the 338 Win Mag. Wonder if they thickened the jackets on the 358's too...

Man that's a shame Fotis. I did not realize they quit making those. From all accounts the 358 Speer FP's expand back to the shank and provide deep straight line penetration.

The 220 provides a nice niche when you need heavier than 180 but don't have a rifle capable of delivering adequate velocities and accuracy with their 250 gr.

If memory serves me correctly, Dr Mike shot a grizzly with a 356 and the 220 gr Speer's and exited on more than one shot. Darn shame if it's no longer available.

Gil (BlkRam) used the 220 grain Speer FN in his .358 Win for quite a while. It accounted for some mighty big animals over the years. Yeah, I was using 220 grain Speer FN in my .356 Win when I dropped the grizz that I posted here. It worked right well on the beast. I recovered one bullet (shot as I approached the animal when it was down, it had penetrated through the shoulder and along the leg until stopping at the left front paw), and a core. Four other bullets exited through the bruin. Excellent performance.

Fotis, are you positive Speer is no longer making this bullet? I know on places like Midway they're not showing it, but Speer is still showing it on their website. It says currently unavailable, but so does their 180 gr and 250 gr 35 caliber bullets.

AB with a flattened point. Did it in my 338 Marlin Express. Make a jig to file each AB to the same length.

orchemo":1i2ts7kg said:
AB with a flattened point. Did it in my 338 Marlin Express. Make a jig to file each AB to the same length.

Was interested in the 338 Marlin Express when it first came out. Have never seen a rifle on the rack anywhere, but do see ammo on the shelf from time to time. Thought that stainless Marlin was a handsome rifle and would great to own, carry, shoot and hunt with.

Interesting idea of taking the tip off the AB for it.

I did rebarrel a Winchester Model 88 to the 338 Federal (20" Krieger 1;10) and it has performed well so far, after getting the feeding issue corrected. Took that caribou a few years back with it. Will pack it for bear this spring. Plan is to use just the 210gr PT in it, as it was built specifically for bear (and moose) in the thick timber, and it likes the Federal Premium factory load (stocked up with about 20 boxes of ammo as I can only use factory loads if using it for Bear Watch duties). Has a rail on, it with a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 B&C on it in QRW rings, and I have a peep I can mount in a moment, if the scope should ever fail.

Have never taken the time to compare the 338 ME to the 338 Federal; gonna have to look at that sometime...

not yet.

Ruptured my Achille's tendon in March. Still in physical therapy and in a boot.

Didn't know Speer discontinued those, thought they were just behind in manufacturing like everybody else (as I can't find any Speer bullets for any of my rifles).

I have those 203gr Hammers for my 356Win. And loaded some of the .243 caliber for my buddies 243 Win. No experience using the Hammers on game yet, but they're nice bullets. They make a 254gr Hammer Hunter in 35 cal and I've been struggling to get it seated for my 35 Whelen. Darn bullets are so long they keep getting stuck in my reloading die when I pull the press back down. I didn't have much time to play with those and had other tasks to go do, so haven't gotten back to the 35 Whelen and 254gr Hammers to figure out that issue yet. Another project to add on the summer to-do list.

Back