Is there anything wrong with...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
So... If a fellow was on a guided hunt for mountain lion, with dogs...

Is there any reason to not use a 45-70 Marlin with the 350 grain Hornady round-nose soft point?

I had been thinking of the ol' 30-30 Glenfield, but... I do like that 45-70 rifle...

I dunno. 30 or 45, either way should work just fine I'd think. :grin:

Guy

Guy, I think I'd take which ever one you like to carry the most. If he decides to run it could be a long walk over the hills, through the woods, up the creek, and back. (so I've heard) :grin: And boy does it sound fun!

Guy,

I, personally, would use the 45-70.
There’s only one degree of dead. Now, to say, the 45-70 will make a big cat expire quicker.
But there’s no flies on the .30-30 either.
I know the .45-70 is a little heavier, and the .30-30 is lighter.
I guess it depends on the terrain and area you’ll be hunting.
Either way you can’t go wrong.

But the Cool factor, definitely the .45-70!

Hawk

The 45-70 would likely leave a large hole which wouldn't be too desirable if you intend to mount the lion. On my Utah lion hunt I brought a Rem model 7 in .223. My guide's opinion of the setup was, "Perfect".

My buddy brought a 30 carbine with Barnes factory ammo. He took a very large cat which did the 100yd dash leaving a blood trail in the snow that was unbelievable.

I like the 45-70 too but after seeing what it has done to several black bears I'd be hesitant to use one on a short haired mountain lion.

Either way, a fun hunt!

My poor 3030 sits in the safe… too much competition… it’s the runt of the litter…

Might be a good excuse to take the 3030 out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy, As good of a shot as you are with a handgun why not make it very sporting and use a large Caliber Revolver or better yet your .45 Auto to administer the finishing touches? I've read many stories of handguns being used very successfully. It would definitely make for a lighter carry and a fantastic story.

Guy,
I've never shot a mountain lion but my understanding is that they are not hard to kill with good bullet placement. Either the 30-30 or the 45-70 would be great but I think I would lean more towards the 45-70. A bigger hole with a stout bullet, maybe hard cast at a modest velocity is just going to punch a big hole through the cat.
I also like the thought of using a handgun. Your 44 Magnum or 45 ACP would both be excellent choices while allowing you to be hands free until show time.

JD338

Thanks all. (y)

This won't be for a few more months, in winter. Outfitter is a great guy I've known since he was a kid, 20 years ago. He's going to call me when they get a cat track, which they always do. Then I'll have to hustle on down to his ranch and go hunting!

Ya, I'm kinda torn between the 30-30, 45-70, and a handgun. One of those. I'd be happy with any of them.

Guy

Compromise and buy a marlin 16” 1894 in 357 mag. I’ve got a buddy who runs hounds and has been using one for years. Pairs well with a revolver of the same caliber. It has proven effective on both bears and cats

Thebear_78":1ivghpa3 said:
Compromise and buy a marlin 16” 1894 in 357 mag. I’ve got a buddy who runs hounds and has been using one for years. Pairs well with a revolver of the same caliber. It has proven effective on both bears and cats

Mmmm, no. :grin: I'm not buying another rifle (particularly at the prices being paid for Marlins these days) for this hunt. Am pretty sure that either the 30-30 or the 45-70 will do just fine. As would some of my handguns.

Guy

I’d prolly have to opt for the handgun Guy. Just seems like Mt lion hunting with hounds, and a good revolver seems like perfect combination to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guy Miner":3qxun2b7 said:
Thebear_78":3qxun2b7 said:

Mmmm, no. :grin: I'm not buying another rifle (particularly at the prices being paid for Marlins these days) for this hunt. Am pretty sure that either the 30-30 or the 45-70 will do just fine. As would some of my handguns.

Guy
Then I would go 30/30. A new rifle would have been fun. The ruger Marlins should be out soon!

Guy,

A bad guy or game animal can’t be too dead.

The 45-70 would add a lot of cool factor. Beyond that I’d be inclined to use a handgun if close. My model 58 makes a great lion or bear gun for those, “oh crap!” moments with the appropriate load.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Vince

Polaris":1hp3cmwg said:
Wasn't it you that had an M99 in .22 Savage Hi Power? Or was it .250?

Say- thats worth thinking about. That .22 High Power deserves a photo op :) .

Back