Rising Number of Bear Attacks?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I'd call this "hunting related" since so many of us who hunt, end up in close proximity to bears time to time. This 14 minute video is likely the best discussion of bear attacks that I've come across. Very well done, with lots of good bear clips in it too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IraxZd8HecY

Regards, Guy

A well-balanced, well-reasoned presentation of bear/human encounters. The visuals are superb. Who doesn't love watching bears, and especially grizzlies, in their element?

Ya - I wasn't expecting such a professional, well done presentation. Kept my attention.

Guy

Yep, excellent stuff! On a lighter note our young guide was up at Brooks Falls today guiding a pair of intrepid fishermen. He was suddenly approached by a hysterical woman, pointing down river uttering something to the effect of bear, spray, guide. Our young guide hustled down river to find a guide from a very high end expensive lodge rolling around in agony. Apparently he was showing off his bear spray quick draw and sprayed himself in the face. No bears were injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":1klaofbt said:
Yep, excellent stuff! On a lighter note our young guide was up at Brooks Falls today guiding a pair of intrepid fishermen. He was suddenly approached by a hysterical woman, pointing down river uttering something to the effect of bear, spray, guide. Our young guide hustled down river to find a guide from a very high end expensive lodge rolling around in agony. Apparently he was showing off his bear spray quick draw and sprayed himself in the face. No bears were injured.

::ROFLMAO::

salmonchaser":3r0zveoq said:

LOL! :mrgreen:

A few years ago I mentioned to a local gal that she ought to have some bear spray with her while hiking. She got some - then decided to see how it worked - not by blasting it outdoors... Oh no, she told me that she blasted it in their master bath shower! EEEEK! :shock:

Apparently she thought it would be easy to clean it up there. Said it made her real sick for a while. I tried hard not to laugh too much at her when she told me the story...

Guy

Guy Miner":xxu5t0el said:
salmonchaser":xxu5t0el said:

LOL! :mrgreen:

A few years ago I mentioned to a local gal that she ought to have some bear spray with her while hiking. She got some - then decided to see how it worked - not by blasting it outdoors... Oh no, she told me that she blasted it in their master bath shower! EEEEK! :shock:

Apparently she thought it would be easy to clean it up there. Said it made her real sick for a while. I tried hard not to laugh too much at her when she told me the story...

Guy
Just never know what some folks will do. :lol:

Good video, though I'm not certain the data from within the park applies across the population outside. Not that I think the data is invalid, simply that it's an incomplete picture.

I'd tend to agree with that. The bears in the parks are accustomed to seeing people frequently. I suspect that to some extent, that probably alters their behavior.

Guy

During the course of 50 some years hunting in Northern Saskatchewan I have had a number of encounters with Black Bears it seems in the cases I was involved with that the Bear minded his own business as did I :wink:.
Now hunting with Mike, Gil & Gerhard in north eastern BC I was shown some Grizzly bear tracks by Gil and seeing the size definitely made me more aware of where I was :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

The new Sports Afield magazine has a good article, "The Bear Facts", by Anthony Acerrano that provides some good stats.

Blkram":38mwg0se said:
The new Sports Afield magazine has a good article, "The Bear Facts", by Anthony Acerrano that provides some good stats.

Cool. Thanks. :)

With the increasing population of brown/grizzly bears in the lower 48 I think we will start seeing more bear/human encounters.

Some of those encounters will not have a happy ending I fear. Especially with the lack of brain cells some folks display, as evidenced by this thread.

I’m of the opinion, aggressive bear gets a firearm. Curious bear gets bear spray. Stupid people get what they get and stupid should hurt.

Vince

Vince":2217ermt said:
With the increasing population of brown/grizzly bears in the lower 48 I think we will start seeing more bear/human encounters.

Some of those encounters will not have a happy ending I fear. Especially with the lack of brain cells some folks display, as evidenced by this thread.

I’m of the opinion, aggressive bear gets a firearm. Curious bear gets bear spray. Stupid people get what they get and stupid should hurt.

Vince

I'm inclined to agree.
Paul B.

Back