Vermejo Park Elk

jdmason480

Beginner
Jul 23, 2005
Ended the hunting season this week with a 300 lb yearling bull taken off the Vermejo Park Ranch in northern NM. One shot with the 7mmSTW, 160gr AB, 78gr RL25 at 175 yds. That's 4 for 4 clean kills this year with the accubonds--antelope, whitetail, wild hog, and elk. Little did I know that a box of accubonds would end up costing me the price of a new freezer.

Hunting Vermejo Park is truly spectacular. We hunted about 50K acres of the 558K ranch and saw upwards of 700 head the first day from the mountains to the plains interspersed with antelope and bison. With the abundance of game, I got to plan my hunt to my liking which was a hike up and down rolling pinon/juniper/scrub oak hills into high grass meadows usually holding a dozen or so elk to glass and stalk. Almost got busted on the final approach when we came eyeball to eyeball at 40 yds with a pair of calves and a cow. They didn't spook however and allowed us to ease on by and shoot the animal I was after in the clearing below.

Thanks, Nosler. And, if anyone is seriously interested in a northern NM elk hunt of any kind, I can highly recommend an honest guide/outfitter.

jd

Back