2015 Hunting Pictures

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
Post your 2015 Hunting Season pictures here.

Good Luck to all.

JD338

Glad to see you on the ball, Jim. Trust those posting here have a very successful year.

9:55 New Years Day!
2E91B618-D8A2-442C-B63F-9536C1A63F53.jpg

Nicely done. Way to start off the new year, congratulations.

JD338

And that's the way to begin the new year. Congratulations, Mike. Ya' done good! (y)

Nice shot on that doe friend. What was your gun and load? Or should I take your handle (.280 Remington) as a clue? ;)

Film it was actually the first whitetail I've killed in 21 years and the first doe I've ever killed. 200gr Federal fusion. 35 Whelen. Only the third deer I've ever killed without using A .280 Rem

Way to go buddy. Congrats!

JD338

Hey 280! You're gonna have to change your handle to "Whelen Machine" or something! Nice work!

What kind of a scope do you have on your deer slayer there?

I know this isn't related per say but seeing what you've done here made me fish the old Savage 99 .300 Savage out of the cabinet the other day and want to get it ready for this fall. Going to see if I can draw one of those doe tags.

Again good shooting!

That is some great table fare and with the 35 Whelen it makes even more cool!!
Thanks for the post.

Blessings,
Dan

My 10 yo Elijah & I just got back from an incredible road trip to Texas for feral pigs. I was returning to Winchester Ridge in Mountain Home just up the eway from Kerrville but it was Elijah's first trip. The ranch is owned by my friend Joe Nagy who is an extraordinarily gracious host. If you're in the market for such a trip I can't recommend his place enough.

I'd planned on Elijah hunting with the 223 he shoots so well pushing 65 gr SGKs, but Joe suggested I let Elijah use my 6-250 using RL15 to push 90 gr NBTs to 3k fps. I thought it wise to take his advice, and Elijah shot that rifle well.

Joe took my buddy Tom's son Kyle out for a cull buck on the first day and while Elijah & I didn't seal the deal on the huge boar we saw, Kyle got his first ever buck taken with his XS-7 .243 & a 95 gr NBT pushed by Ramshot Hunter:

The next day Joe took Elijah out for a cull of his own, but had a couple large visitors come in that needed fatal doses of Nosler:

The first monster had such sharp cutters that his tongue was impaled when he went down! He kicked a bit so he got a second shot to still him; I later found that one in the offside shoulder having smashed the onside. Unfortunately I lost that bullet which was essentially a very heavy jacket. For all the (proper) hyper we hear re: the 95, this has been an impressive bullet for me nearly always delivering DRTs & exits.

I was in a blind on the other end of the ranch w/ my favorite rifle and a 90 gr load of my own; 257 AI, Hunter, and 90 gr GMX doin 3350 fps. The 190 lb boar came rushing in but didn't make it to a last meal before I plastered my #4 behind his head at 100-ish yards and drop him DRT.

My buddy Ricky got a boar of his own, and Elijah was in 7th Heaven overseeing a truck bed FULL of pork:

Elijah was in his glory as we shot pics in the guttin shed:

The two big ones will be my first-ever mounts as they're getting the euro treatment.

Needless to say we had some work ahead of us, but I had yet to get a head-on shot that might stop my GMX. That evening I got it:

He came in w/ a few of his buddies and as soon as he faced me length-wise I plastered my #4 on his face and let him have it. He plopped DRT and I later found the bullet which I reported on in the bullet test board.

We had a crazy fun trip going through several states we'd never visited, and Elijah killed his first two big game animals after an amazingly difficult Michigan deer season.

I can't believe what a blessed life I lead; we'll be enjoying the fruits of our labor for quite some time!

Thanks for reading!

What a great experience for your lad. He's quickly moving away from boyhood and into manhood with such experiences. Congratulations, Elijah. Great pictures, by the way; and a great write up as you shared the hunt.

Back