And So It Begins...

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Moose opened today. I was up at two and out the door at three. I picked up Noah and his stepdad (John) at 3:20. We boogied for the cutblock we had looked over last fall and again a couple of weeks back. We were situated atop a log pile by 4:20. At 4:30, I was watching a big bull at 223 yards. I did all I could to get Noah's attention, finally tapping on the wood with my finger in a rough imitation of a flicker. He looked up at me and I spread my fingers, holding them to the side of my head. He thought I was mocking him and, accordingly, stuck out his tongue. I pointed to the moose, a large, mature bull that was placidly standing broadside. Consequently, that bull would stand there for over forty minutes.

Shortly, a pickup came creeping into the cutblock. He saw my truck parked about a kilometer away from where we were situated. He idled there for at least ten minutes, evidently trying to determine what to do. Finally, he crept down the road into the cutblock. I thought sure he would spook the moose. He slowly made his way past us, never even seeing the moose. He drove to the bottom of the hillside on which we were situated, turned around and drove back out. The whole time, the big bull stood placidly, watching this strange phenomenon. At last, the interloper was gone--and the phlegmatic moose continued to stand broadside to us. I pointed out the moose to Noah several more times, and he asked if it was standing in the woods.

After more than forty-five minutes, the bumbling Bullwinkle turned and sauntered toward the treeline. NOW, at long last, Noah said, "Oh, yeah, I see him." "Well, don't shoot him in the butt," I cautioned. I had been hearing another forest creature moving directly in front of us. The squirrels were scolding whatever it was and pitching pine cones at it. Occasionally, the unseen creature would move about, often stepping on a branch or a twig. However, this critter never showed itself.

In the interim, the big bull stopped at the treeline and stood peering intently into the dark interior of the forest. Suddenly, he whirled and began to trot in a line that would bring him into a rather large opening across from us. As he broke into the open, I grunted at him. This brought him to a complete stop. He was 187 yards at this point, a chip shot for me. Noah, however, was intimidated at the shot and declined. The bull then hied himself into the dense underbrush on the far side of the cutblock.

After another fifteen minutes or so, I noted that it was 6:30 and we might as well pull up stakes. Several observations are in order. First, I declined to shoot this bull though I had several opportunities--we were there to get a bull for Noah. Again, I teased Noah mercilessly for only seeing a "big brown bush" even after I had pointed out the moose. However, I praised him for passing on the shot. He was uncomfortable with a two hundred plus yard shot and chose not to attempt it. I told him that was exactly the right choice. Finally, the entrance of the Ford provided opportunity to speak with Noah about hunting ethics and also to point out moose behaviour. It was awesome to note that though the big beast stood in plain sight in the muted shadows of the new day, the driver never saw him.

Rather than spend the day driving around, we opted to come home. I have work to do (Sunday is coming). Nevertheless, we will go out again this evening to see if we can't espy the same woodland giant browsing in the gloaming. I'll post more as the season progresses until we have a report of a moose for Noah.

Great story DrMike and you taught Noah well to not take a shot he wasn't sure of. With more opportunities and shooting he will build the confidence it takes to make the shots that are presented to him.

We did see a couple of cows. There were certainly moose about in the early hours of the morning. It felt good just to be out again. It is doubly delightful to be able to invest some instruction to Noah. John is absorbing all that I'm saying to Noah; he hasn't hunted in many years. He used to hunt mule deer in the Okanagan, but hasn't done any hunting in over twenty years. We bought him a rifle/scope setup this past week (that will have to be another post, however).

Four degrees Celsius this morning--beautifully cool. Great temperature for a moose hunt! It shouldn't get too warm today, so it should still be good this evening.

Good hunt indeed.

Frustrating isn't it, when working with a hunter, who simply can't see a game animal that appears so obvious? I've had that happen several times with a new hunter. There's something to simply being able to recognize game in the field. Noah will get there.

I'm impressed with his decision to NOT shoot. If he wasn't sure about the shot, he shouldn't take it.

Good stuff!

Guy

Guy,

I am quite proud of Noah; he has the fundamentals, only lacking experience. He's getting there. I do want to keep the level of anticipation high. We're headed back out this evening (I'll be dead tomorrow, which should be interesting). John, Noah's stepdad, mentioned that church didn't start until 10:30 and we could be in the field by 4:30 again tomorrow. I decline his generous offer (though I may go out again tomorrow evening if we don't tag something this evening).

Good luck to you guys. Hope he checks out those brown bushes a bit more carefully next time ;) :)

DrMike":2yhxkbwh said:
Guy,

I am quite proud of Noah; he has the fundamentals, only lacking experience. He's getting there. I do want to keep the level of anticipation high. We're headed back out this evening (I'll be dead tomorrow, which should be interesting). John, Noah's stepdad, mentioned that church didn't start until 10:30 and we could be in the field by 4:30 again tomorrow. I decline his generous offer (though I may go out again tomorrow evening if we don't tag something this evening).

Good luck! (y)

The weather is promising to be temperate for a couple of weeks, Gerry. Should be good hunting.

Both Dan and I are eager to get there, in the mean time we will enjoy watching you and Noah hunt through this thread.

Looking forward to having you fellows over here. Should be fun. I'm seeing quite a few moose this year. Still early for elk to be bugling, though I have seen a few around.

Mike that sounds like an amazing hunt, I am very envious. You are being a great mentor to Noah and it shows with his restraint in a shot he was not comfortable with.

This is the cut-block we were hunting. We climbed into a brush pile, squirming down into the logs to provide a good view of the meadow.

The far side of the block, shown in the photo, leads into another large cut-block. We didn't see a moose last evening, but we did see foxes, coyotes and a fat, roly poly black bear. However, we were hunting moose, so these animals were safe.

Great sunset pic..
Good luck with the swamp donkeys hope Noah can connect.
Was that bull still in velvet? They are here, I've heard the bull elk are starting to shed / rib velvet now.

super-7":1csu6dym said:
Great sunset pic..
Good luck with the swamp donkeys hope Noah can connect.
Was that bull still in velvet? They are here, I've heard the bull elk are starting to shed / rib velvet now.

Very much in velvet! The elk are rubbing off their velvet. It will still be a couple of weeks before the moose take up the task of beating up the willows.

Thanks DrMike, what a great morning you had with Noah & his Dad. I am so looking forward to seeing you & the guys I hope you can keep your eyes sharp for this old flatlander wouldn't mind a crack at a Bull (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I'm seeing a few bulls, Dan. Course, the place is swarming with people travelling up here from throughout the province, as they do each year. Still, I'm seeing plenty of bulls.

Back